1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Save As, Open, etc. Not Responding.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TheAtomic, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheAtomic

TheAtomic Thread Starter

Well I'm running Vista Ultimate x86 on an AMD 64 Athlon X2 3800+ with a gig of RAM, and it seems whenever I open the smaller folder browser, like the one opened to save and open files, and the one that opens when you with to browse the folders on your computer (such as to upload something to the net), it becomes nearly instantly Not Responding, and continues to stay like that until the whole program is closed.

Now this isn't happening to Windows Explorer, just this folder browser. Obviously it's a fairly urgent problem as I cannot save anything.

Any ideas?

2. spdabbs

spdabbs

All I can think of is it may possibly be trying to update network drives for the Explorer folder list or maybe CD drives & other removable devices. Try removing all disks from drives/card readers beforehand. If you have a printer with built in card reader, turn it off or disconnect it.

3. TheAtomic

TheAtomic Thread Starter

Yeah, I removed all the unneeded devices, and I don't think that's it, because Windows Explorer runs fine, it's only the smaller browser.

Another funny thing I noticed is that I can save things in paint, which, I guess, is because it has that slightly different browser which has a drop down to open file browsing. I assume it's something to do with the service/process perhaps that opens these "Save As" and "Open" windows.

4. TheAtomic

TheAtomic Thread Starter

Sorry for the double post, but I have some more information that may help...

When I go to "Open" in paint, it works fine at first, while looking in my "Pictures" folder, but when I go to "Documents" or simply the C: Drive, it then stops responding. I have no idea why.

Edit: I checked it out and it seems when clicking "Open" in paint I can go to (using the sidebar):

Searches, Recently Changed, Music, Pictures, Computer and Desktop.

And I can't go to:

Recent Places and Documents. These cause it to freeze and stop responding.

5. TheAtomic

TheAtomic Thread Starter

Ah, triple post, you're all going to kill me but I've worked out why it's doing it!

It's the fact that whenever I view something with the browser, if it is in the "Details" view then it freezes, while if it is in the "Icons" or "Thumbnails" view it is fine.

Any ideas now?

6. spdabbs

spdabbs

What details are you set up to show? Most likely cause of the problem is that it's taking its time working out one of those columns.

7. TheAtomic

TheAtomic Thread Starter

Well in Windows Explorer it's set to show, Name, Date Taken, Tags, Size, Rating, Type. Perhaps that is conflicting.

8. TheAtomic

TheAtomic Thread Starter

Guys, this is still plaguing me and I would really appreciate any help or ideas possible. Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!