1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Save As" question for Excel...some files hidden

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by annodomini, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. annodomini

annodomini Thread Starter

Using "Save As" in Excel. Why does Excel not show every file in the folder I am using in the "Save As" dialog box? All the files in the folder are Excel spreadsheet files with extension ".xlsx" but it seems as if Excel is trying to identify the contents of the file I am saving and match it to the contents of the files in the folder. Is there a way to override this behavior? Background - processing hundreds of monthly reports from multiple locations and renaming them to a standard naming convention, something like "location report type date.xlsx" with every location submitting three types of reports. It saves much time to be able to click "Save As," click on another report from the same location and date, and just overtype the report type. I used to be able to do that without problems in older versions of Excel, but with this version (on my work computer, so I'll have to add the version in the comments should anyone need it...also why no sysinfo here) it seems like Excel is trying to match the file I am saving to certain files already in the folder and not showing anything else. There may be twenty files in the folder and it only shows me a dozen. There may be five files in the folder and it shows the folder seemingly as empty. I stress - the files are all there, some are just hidden from the "Save As" dialog box. I also stress that every file I am working with is already ".xlsx" so it is not a matter of changing the "save as type."
    Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

2. OBP

OBP

Sorry, I can't help with why the files are being hidden, but I may be able to offer an alternative method.
    It would depend on how many variations of the file names there are and what changes you need to make.

3. annodomini

sorry for the delay. basically I gather three monthly reports from each of 67 different locations. some of the locations have two units. for location alpha the standard naming convention for January 2019 would be something like:
    alpha east this 1901
    alpha east that 1901
    alpha east whatever 1901
    alpha west this 1901
    alpha west that 1901
    alpha west whatever 1901
    I used to be able to save time by clicking "save as" and then clicking on a report submitted earlier. let's say I already had a report from location beta east titled "beta east this 1901." I could "save as," click it once, then overwrite "beta" with "alpha." with the current version of Excel it sometimes won't show me "beta east this 1901" even though it's in there. there seems no rhyme or reason because the next file I'm working with might be "charlie east this 1901" and when I click "save as" there's "beta east this 1901" right where it should be.
    and as I said, it seems like Excel is almost "guessing" what the file is. I might be trying to save a "this" file and for some reason Excel will show me only the "that" files.
    hope I explained this adequately.

4. OBP

OBP

OK, a few questions.
    What version of Excel are you using?
    Is it 32bit or 64bit?
    Do you have to "Open" the Excel workbook to do something prior to doing the Save As?
    Or could you just copy and save as?
    Do they go back in to the same folder?
    How many folders are involved?
    Approximately how many workbooks per folder?

5. annodomini

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus
    Version 1701 (Build 7766.2092)
    64 bit

The files come in as email attachments. I open them into Excel directly from the emails, look over the data, and if there are no errors I click "save as" and rename them using the proper naming convention (they might come in named just about anything...jimbobillybob.xlsx). When I "save as" I save the in a specific folder for that month's reports. There is a single folder for each month, 3 files from each of 67 locations so the folder ends up with roughly 200 files (some locations don't report).

6. OBP

OBP

What I was going to propose probably wouldn't help much.
    I have VBA that provides a list of all the Excell files in a folder on a worksheet that you could copy in to the save as name to change to what you want, but I am not sure it would be an advantage.

7. annodomini

think not, but thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice