1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Save Docs in Folder for Backup with Easus or Macrium Free?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freedave, Oct 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

Thank you, managed -- I'll try to do it and will post again if I have any difficulty . . .

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome and good luck with it.

3. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

I see that this is beyond what I can do by myself. I found this: https://www.easeus.com/support/todo-backup/cloud-backup.html "Cloud backup supports File backup, Smart backup, and Mail backup only." I don't know what those are. "Supported Cloud Storage includes OneDrive, DropBox and GoogleDrive." But Google Drive only has 15 GB of free cloud storage. My two hard drives each have a lot more than 15 GB. Is this workable?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you have a Desktop PC so another option is to install another internal hard drive to store the backups, that's even better than an external Usb hard drive, more reliable and probably faster too.

As I said before I would store Images on a local hard drive. Images contain everything on the drive, most useful for the Windows drive, you can restore Windows and all your programs and data to exactly how it was when you made the image.
    The idea is if the Windows drive fails you can boot up with a Usb stick containing the imaging software, Macrium free can make this Usb stick for you, then you restore onto a new hard drive and you're up and running again in a very short time, a matter of minutes.
    Also you can use the image as a file backup, you can retrieve files or folders straight from the image.

If you want to use cloud storage for large amounts of data it looks like you will have to pay for it.
    Again I would only use the cloud as an extra backup for your data, such as photos, documents etc.

5. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

Thank you again, managed. I see your point. I have a 500 GB SSD and another HD around 1000 GB in the computer now -- I'm not sure it will take another HD. All I really need to back up is my notepad files . . .

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well you should be able to backup those notepad files onto Google drive then. If they are really important it's best to make several backups onto different media to be safe.

You can use a Usb stick (I know I said they are unreliable but it's ok to use one if you also have other backups) and also put copies onto both internal drives, maybe burn them onto a CD/DVD as well if you can. Also put them onto Google drive and other free file storage sites, the more copies you make the better.

7. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

OK, is there any way to put all the .txt files onto any of those without going through them one by one?

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    For files listed next to each other in the same folder you can select a group by clicking on the top file then holding down a Shift key and clicking on the lowest one, that will highlight all the files, then you can right-click on any of those files and Copy them all in one go, then Paste them all to the backup location.

Other than the above you will have to copy and paste the individual files.

9. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

Thank you again, managed.

I have previously copied and pasted multiple files as you explained.

The question is how to get all the .txt files together -- I have hundreds -- I have stored most of my data on notepad files.

It seems that I would need to find all files with the same extension . . .

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Open File Explorer, click on This PC then in the Search area near top right type :-

*.txt

That will find all the files with a .txt extension, you will still have to select the ones you want to keep though.

11. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

Thank you again, managed.

I will let you know how that goes . . .

12. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

Hello again, managed.

I did as you suggested.

I see many files that I don't recognize and some that I do.

Is it safe to delete any that I don't recognize?

And what is the fastest easiest way to delete them?

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    It should be safe to delete .txt files. You will have to go through them though, I can't think of a faster way to do it.

14. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

OK, thank you very much, managed . . .

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice