1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Save full AOL installer on Linux box?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by monckywrench, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monckywrench

monckywrench Thread Starter

I have a friend who stupidly insists on retaining AOL. He is also on dialup that chokes when downloading AOL directly.

I want to save the complete AOL 9.1 installer (not the download stub) using my Linux box. Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

Edit:
    Solved:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t83429.html

"Hawkeye
    Jun 5 2003, 08:43
    Well, if ytou really want it that badly, then yes, you can download it in its entirety from one of AOL's FTP servers. Here are the instructions:

1. Go to ftp://ftp.newaol.com using an FTP Client program such as CuteFTP, SmartFTP, or FlashFXP.
    2. Navigate to the /clients/aol80 directory on the server.
    3. Download everything in that folder (including the media folder and its contents) except the following three files: aolsetup.exe (this is the small download executable that you get from AOL.com that downloads the whole package), msie698.exe (this is the IE 6 installer for Win9x systems), and msie62k.exe (this is the IE 6 installer for Win2000 systems).
    3. Run the file named setup80.exe to execute the installer.

You can burn that to a CD if you wish. That should be all you need to install AOL 8.0. If you would like to install an older version of AOL (4.0, 5.0, 6.0, or 7.0), navigate to the root directory of the FTP server, and find it from there."

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just download it and put it on a thumb drive.

3. monckywrench

"Just download it and put it on a thumb drive."

I hadn't known about the location of the file on the FTP site due to avoiding AOL since 1999. :)
    Friend "upgraded" and it chokes his 1.6GHZ/384MB machine.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

So, did you find it? Maybe it's not so easy as I thought. I don't see it at ftp.aol.com and all I can find is the download stub (Win32). Is that the most recent and the one that would be free in stores?

5. monckywrench

I finally found it. The experience further reinforced my bitter loathing for AOL, but the nice folks at http://www.oldversion.com have it and the other versions at:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=aol

Looking at the download sizes showcases how AOL bloated over the years.

10.0 is the most recent, and it is horrid. That's why I'd switching my friend back to 9 or perhaps 8. I'll grab both and save them for future use. AOLs marketing model is IMO pure evil, because it keeps users depending on AOL instead of learning standard internet browser and mail usage. 8.0 is preferable (ugh) for 98SE etc.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have no fear. An "upgrade" will soon make another older version no longer work.

Thanks for the followup. I didn't even know 10 existed.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice