1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Save Me From My 12 yr old!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Surobbro, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Surobbro

Surobbro Thread Starter

Hi! I need your help badly!!!

My PC is really old and a piece of CRAP! My memory sucks(only 754MB avail. in C drive and the processor is only 150mhz!!!

He wants to DL games but so many of the ones we've been finding req. 300mhz.

Anyone have any suggestions or know of free games that he could DL off the net?

Thanks, Susan (He's really upset!):rolleyes:

2. michael_jii

michael_jii

3. michael_jii

michael_jii

4. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

You could also get a new computer. Putting a kid through life without a nice computer is too cruel to contemplate. :p

5. guitarist968

guitarist968

You really need a new computer.

I remember when I had a 133mhz Compaq. It cost $3500 at Best Buy. It was the one on the end of the aisle. It's amazing how a computer that expensive has turned into such a pile of ****.

6. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

Your sons life may be on the line without one of these or something better.

7. Metys

Metys

yeah i agree with everyone who said u need a new comp. u can spend very little money and still get something 1000 times better then what u have now.

but, if u dont want to spend money i would suggest free online games... check www.popcap.com or that site that michael suggested.

8. Metys

Metys

OH YEAH!!!! i just remember something, if u do get a new comp, get the game shadow flare for yer kid. its an ok game and will keep him busy for a month. Its sort of a cheap knock off of diablo 2
    the first episode of it is free, and u can download it off www.downloads.com, or www.shadowflare.us

0-(''Q)

9. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

Ok. Two tips. #1, get a new comp. But screw dell. www.pricewatch.com. Seach for complete systems. Get one custom, for 50-90% cheaper. I got my AMD Athlon XP2600+ 30gig hd, etc for 300$

Tip #2. I recently visited my Aunt and Uncle, and for the entire weekend I was dueling my cousin in Icy Tower(s?). Its an incredibly addictive game where you have to jump up on ledges, and as you get higher, the screen moves upwards faster and faster..and the ledges get smaller. Its a free game which should be available on www.download.com and *should* run on your computer. (My cousin and all her friends play it, and she just recently turned 11, so your son should be more than happy with it)

10. michael_jii

michael_jii

either way there's loads of options...

11. WarC

WarC

I wouldn't be so quick to say "Screw Dell". Not only are their budget computers fast and inexpensive for what they are, they also provide good tech support. Someone who knows computers like the back of their hand might be comfortable ordering an "unknown" budget system from one of the vendors at pricewatch.com...but other than the experienced, I don't recommend using it over, say, Dell.

And, you can get a very fast Pentium 4 based budget Dell for around $400 at the right time...A good, good deal, considering the quality of the computer your getting, and the tech support/warranties...Never thought I'd say it about a brand-name computer, but you really can't go wrong ordering a Dell if you have $400-700 to spend on a computer, and your inexperienced or don't know much about computers.

Alright, I'm done being a walking Dell ad.

12. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

Duude, your getting a lecture. :)))

Yes, with that aside, note how they design they're cases so you have to get DELL parts to upgrade your pc. Also note the fact that its an OEM. If your a average joe net surfer, yeah spend an extra 400$, you get more for your type. But if you dont mind tweaking and getting stuff yourself, then save alot of money.

13. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

I recommend Dells, too (if that wasn't already obvious from my link). I've never had a problem installing a part into mine, except a BIOS problem with my SoundBlaster Audigy which they had a fix for. I've changed out a video card, some sound cards, a modem, a floppy drive, and a CD-RW with no problems because of cases or anything else.

Dell offers easy to use and install bargain PCs that are pretty powerful for the price, in addition to the higher-end ones that are still price-efficient, though not quite comparable to a homemade system.

Wow. That totally sounded like an advertisement. (Hook me up with some loot, Dell! :p )

14. suesman

suesman

Shockwave.com has some good online games to play.

I'll agree that Popcap has some fun games to play, though I would not recommend buying anything from them. I did and it was nothing but a painful learning experience. :(

On the "new computer" note? Sure you can build a real nice machine for alot less than what the "big vendors"want, but ( like it's been said ) if you don't know alot about computers, you could just be setting yourself up for alot of heartache. It's nice having someone to call at 3AM when the thing won't boot or that program don't open anymore. ;)

Dell, Gateway & ABS are just some of the nicer vendors to chose from. Decent machines with support people that will stick with you until it's resolved.

Best of luck to ya.

15. KeithKman

KeithKman

I would get him a new computer. If there is a Sam's Club by your house go there. They have great computers for about $600.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice