Save me!! semi-non starter, was ok yesterday!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sivyour

After a moment of infidelity, I belted up the country to sort out the beast. We made up but I think his PC is punishing him and this time I cant fix it!
I can start up the PC and it offers up safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with dos and start windows normally. Now all the safe modes start fine but proper mode wont. Did a restore to take it back even though nothing was downloaded, still the same.
As windows does start up in safe mode, I'm guessing the problem is mechanical ie electric. Any ideas.
When windows starts and you select start normally, screen rolls and black loadin screen appears but then you get a sleep mode message and the whole thing starts back to select start up mode.

What is your operating system? I'm guessing ME if you can do a system restore and have a safe mode option that includes dos. When Windows starts in safe mode you start thinking about software/driver problems rather than hardware.

sivyour

nope, XP the pc is running fine in all areas except normal start up. you can see a screen flash up just before it says sleep, its blue and contains, dos style text. but goes too quick to read. restored several times without probs but still the same.

If all the "modes" work except for the normal one it could be a driver issue.
Have you opened event viewer and had a look what windows reports ?
Control panel=>Administrative tools=>event viewer

You could also do a "diagnostic startup" and disable everything except what's needed for windows to boot.
Click start=>run=> type in "msconfig" (without the quotes.
Disable everything and reboot.
(windows will enable those things needed for a successfull boot by itself)
Then you can start to re-enable one thing after the other until you find the causing culprit.
(with re-boot in between)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online