1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Save my outlook Emails after re-format??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Frezeboogz, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frezeboogz

Frezeboogz Thread Starter

I am having problems with this computer, and i have come to the conclusion that I must re-format. Despite my choice I do not want to lose my emails. I know I can save them on the hard drive under a outlook folder, but I dont know where they go. What is the path of these saved email? ANd is there a way to save my settings--burn them on a CD-- Reformat my harddrive-- and then reinstate my previous Outlook express with all my emails and such.???

PS IS reforamting the best option I have and if yes, why.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You first mention Outlook, but then mention Outlook Express.

Which is it? These are two separate and entirely different applications.

Also the version you run should be stated.

If its OE then check this link out:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270670

As to the need to reformat, as we have no idea of the nature of the problem, no sensible advice could be given.

3. Frezeboogz

I am using Outlook express 6.

The problem is just too much garbage on this computer. Three people use it constantly and 2 are very careless about what they download. Too many pop ups. stuff i have tried to fix and the solution sounds like way too much work, it would be better to re format. To give u an idea here is my hijack log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 10:45:18 PM, on 8/11/2004
    Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\DefWatch.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\Rtvscan.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\crfa32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\EXSHOW95.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\netxn32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\EXSHOW.EXE
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\winlgn.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\crfa32.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Documents and Settings\new user\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 36 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkfh.dll/sp.html#26512
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkfh.dll/sp.html#26512
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkfh.dll/index.html#26512
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkfh.dll/sp.html#26512
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkfh.dll/index.html#26512
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkfh.dll/sp.html#26512
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkfh.dll/sp.html#26512
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkfh.dll/index.html#26512
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkfh.dll/sp.html#26512
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://mypoiskovik.com/sp.htm
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://mypoiskovik.com/index.htm
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {63D8E7C3-8227-3E71-D229-292FC69E5C73} - C:\WINDOWS\javapu32.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EXSHOW95.EXE] EXSHOW95.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [netxn32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\netxn32.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: winlgn.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin4.dll
    O16 - DPF: {02BCC737-B171-4746-94C9-0D8A0B2C0089} (Microsoft Office Template and Media Control) - http://office.microsoft.com/templates/ieawsdc.cab
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab
    O16 - DPF: {BAC01377-73DD-4796-854D-2A8997E3D68A} (Yahoo! Photos Easy Upload Tool Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/ydropper/ydropper1_3us.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

4. Lightning

Lightning Guest

If you reformat today, you'll be back here in 6 months wanting to know how to do it again. Unless you change the computer habits of the 2 offenders using your PC, the problems will just come back.

If you decide to format now, create two separate user accounts for the offenders and only give them basic rights. Then they can't install any software. If they don't like it, have them buy their own computer.

5. Frezeboogz

Thanx for the advice, but u see it's not always what they download directly but what gets onto the computer when they use it. They go to BS websites that get alot of pop ups and other similar junk. THis is always a problem for me. But most of the time i am able to run either spybot,adware, norton...etc and fix the problem for a little while, soon it returns. But now this pop ups have gotten out of hand. And i also fear that personal information if not safe either. I wouldnt even think about buying anything with my credit card on this computer.

6. Lightning

Lightning Guest

If they aren't admins, programs likely won't install that cause all the popups. If you use the NTFS file system and set permissions on important files, they'll be safe as well. Your credit card information is far more likely to be stolen by an employee to whom you give it to over the phone or at a restaurant than over the internet. Even in that case, thieves go after the company servers, not personal computers, to steal this information.

As an added layer of credit card security, get a credit card that offers one-time-use disposable numbers. Make your online purchases with those. Then if anyone steals the number, it can't be used anyway.

7. Frezeboogz

Thanx for the advice. Hope this is the first step towards solving , not delaying my problem.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/259517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice