1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Save the icon order of music folders in my documents

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Raven89Andrija, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven89Andrija

Raven89Andrija Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have one question. Is it possible to save the order of my music folders (and files!) in My Music folder. What I mean is that I'm going to transfer all of my music (55 GB) on external HDD and then back to freshly installed Windows 7. And what I would like is that my order of folder is sorted as I did it in Win XP, and NOT by alphabetical order or something else. I have really huge collection and organizing it like it is now would be a nightmare. I do not want music to be sorted like: ATB, Coldplay, Linkin Park, Trance; but in my order (like Coldplay, Linkin Park, ATB, Trance). I wonder if thumbs.db hidden file has to do something with order of the icons (I guess not :() So is it possible or not? :confused: Thanks for advices, cheers!

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Explorer can display the files in different orders - alphabetical, file type, date modified and you can vary that by clicking on the column heading. Is that what you've done and become accustomed to seeing? If it is, you're in luck because W7 can do the same.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You will have to reorganize everything. The order icons are displayed is stored in the registry of the OS. Moving the files to a different OS will not include the saved order, it will use whatever the default is for new folders.

However, Win 7 does not let you disable the Auto Arrange, so you can only sort Ascending or Descending by one of the column headers like Name.

There is a registry hack that removes the WIn 7 Full row select feature that seems to restore the ability to turn off auto arrange, see this post for a link to the article with the patch.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice