1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Save to USB on Win98 computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fdasmith, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fdasmith

fdasmith Thread Starter

I am working with a company who uses a Win98 computer for internal use. It is not connected to the internet or to the actual server.
    I am unable to see the USB driver in file manager.
    I was able to use a backup program and save the backup to the USB, however it will not recognize the USB as a removable disk drive when trying to save excel files.

I am also having difficulty accessing the CD_Rom drive as well.

My goal is to remove all active files from this computer and save them to the server, so I just need a way to get these files in a usable format, on a USB stick.

Any help would be aappreciated.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You'll need drivers to support USB as an external drive. But, good luck finding those.
    What I'd do is this. Remove the hdd and install it in a working system, which has server access, as a second drive. You should then be able to move aby and all files to the server. You may need to take ownership of the files on the 98 hdd. But that's simple enough. If you need help with that? Just post a msg. here and I or someone else can tell you how to do it.

3. fdasmith

fdasmith Thread Starter

Thank you. Ironically, I was able to copy the files using the Atronis Backup program, which recognized the USB flash drive. I can make that work.
    Thank you for your quick response.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1208288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice