1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saved Document Gone Missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by esaunders, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. esaunders

esaunders Thread Starter

Hi,

I opened a document from my email (Microsoft Exchange) that I had worked on from home. However, I started this document at work and had it saved in its own folder. When I opened the document from my email, I continued working on it and saved throughout the process. Now, I can't seem to find the new, saved version of the document anywhere. Why is this? Is there somewhere I can look to see if it's there? I checked my temp folder (Start -> Run -> %temp%), and it wasn't there. Please help!

Erin

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Never save a document within the e-mail program. It'll be saved in a temporary folder.

Make sure to check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected system files" in Folder Options.

Copy the following (change your username accordingly):

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Paste it into the My Computer address bar and click OK.

You'll have to manually search inside each folder.

3. esaunders

esaunders Thread Starter

I went through all of the folders, but my document was not there. I realized that I forgot to mention that on my first "save" of the document today, I did click "save as" and saved it as I normally would. Do you have any more suggestions?

4. Phantom010

You don't remember where you "Saved As"? Where do you normally save your documents?

5. Phantom010

Try running a search on your computer with the Search Assistant.

Click Start > Search > For Files or Folders...

6. surferdude2

surferdude2

If you know the file extension type, you can do a full drive search for those (example = *.doc or *.txt) and modify the search parameters to look for any of that type that were modified after a date that seems appropriate.

7. esaunders

esaunders Thread Starter

I'm actually speaking for my boss. She said that she saved it in her folder for this document, but it's not there. She opened the email, then the attachment, did some revisions, and then clicked "save as" to her folder. She said she did some more editing after that and just clicked "save." She tried the Search > files or folders, but I will send her your last thread about the Full Drive Search.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975626