Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saved files to thumb drive and cannot locate them

397 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hello, I switched to a new computer and save my files from my old computer on a thumb drive. I have inserted the thumb drive in my new computer and clicked restore files and when I see them in the downloads on C drive and click on them nothing comes up. I think I have to unzip the them or un compress them? I want to restore and be able to find all my videos, pictures and documents. Thanks for any help.

#9 ·
I just saved them to the thumb drive if I remember correctly.
It is Windows I am using to restore the files and they are compressed.
Well, if the files are compressed then you don't remember correctly about "just saved them."

As you try to remember if you did anything other than simply copy (or move) the files to the flash drive, what version of Windows was on the old computer? And what version of Windows is on the current one?

#4 ·
If you simply used “ copy (cut) and paste” method, there is no reason to unzip anything. Unless you created zip files, they wouldn’t exist. Can you plug this thumb drive into old computer and see if your OS recognizes them? USB ports on new computers are backward compatible even if the old computer has the original USB ports when they were first introduced. Can you try this thumb drive in a friend‘s computer? I think it would be very helpful if you narrowed down the reasons. New computer or your thumb drive?

#6 ·
If you simply used " copy (cut) and paste" method, there is no reason to unzip anything. Unless you created zip files, they wouldn't exist. Can you plug this thumb drive into old computer and see if your OS recognizes them? USB ports on new computers are backward compatible even if the old computer has the original USB ports when they were first introduced. Can you try this thumb drive in a friend's computer? I think it would be very helpful if you narrowed down the reasons. New computer or your thumb drive?
The thumb drive seems to work. I got a new computer back in July 2020. I don't have access to another computer right now, but I will work with it more and get more information.

#13 ·
One other question--is this possibly one of those flash drives (e.g., Sandisk) that is set up for automatically encrypting files?

If they are compressed and you cannot remember what you used to compress them I have no suggestions other than to follow Allan's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.