1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saved OE emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Morny, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Hi, I have searched on TGS to save doubling up on questions but couldn't find what I was looking for.

At present I use Wnds XP Pro SP3 and use OE6. I have loads of emails saved to an external drive. Whenever I wish to open them, I double click and it opens in OE. Mine is the SMTP and POP3 server. I use a dial-up modem.

I am thinking of buying a new laptop with Windows 8. Will I be able to open these old emails and perhaps forward them on to others, please?

Kindest Regards,

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Hi Stephen, I'm fine thank you. Loads to tell you about Tara and will email soon.

Will have to have a good look at the link you provided. Thing is, I know OE is now ancient but I just LOVE the way it is and it's just perfect for me. Will get back to you but I haven't yet bought a new laptop yet. I was just concerned how I would be able to open all my old emails (including all the funnies!!!).

Warmest Wishes
    xxxx

4. Phantom010

I know what you mean. "Why make it simple when you can have it complicated"? :rolleyes: :D

5. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

The other thing I thought of is that I won't be able to use any of my nice backgrounds unless I use OE. For the moment, I will stick with my current ISP but not sure what type of email program to use if and whenever I go over to W8.

I keep wondering whether to get a laptop with Wnd7 instead? I hear it's perhaps better and easier to adapt to than W8?

6. Phantom010

I don't know anything about Windows 8, yet. Not sure I even care...

If you don't have Office and Outlook, you can either use the Windows 8 built-in Windows Mail, I guess? Or, maybe even Thunderbird? However, not sure if Thunderbird is fully compatible yet.

And, as I said before, when the magnificent XP sadly expires in 2014, I might just decide to get into Linux... I hate Windows 7. I have it on my wife's laptop and I just despise it!

By the way, did you see this incredible video? Parents can be such idiots!

http://www.ibtimes.com/baby-flung-car-terrifying-video-child-ejected-car-crash-goes-viral-1034356

That was some lucky baby, despite the parents he has!!! :eek:

7. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Gosh, it's working now!!! It was going all crazy just now and going over and over downloading stuff ...........

Oh, so you don't reckon much on W7? Oh, dear!! Thing is, Linux is so totally different to anything else and what about all the Word docs saved? Would they work with Linux? Also, I still work on loads of my docs because some I have as inlays for my videos/DVDs inserts and amend as and when, including inserted pics. I have tried other programs, other than MS, but the docs don't marry up properly.

Just going to check your latest link ........

8. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Some while ago, I checked out the upgrade from OE and according to a user, it is horrible to use and nothing like OE. This does put me off. Why can't folk leave things alone!!!!!!

9. Phantom010

LibreOffice can open Word documents and does work with Linux. There may be slight differences with the rendering, but the overall should be fine. In worst cases, you can just use available free software to convert .doc or .docx documents into .odt documents.

10. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

I've just remembered that I have the Office CD Earth's actual DVDs but haven't used them. This was from the mid 2010. In a way I got conned but it looks like a nice set of programs and I thought it would be handy for whenever mine doesn't work anymore.

Thing isssssssssss, I just love the way MS Wnds works with the GUI etc. I'll let you be the pioneer then? I did see a laptop in a shop last week with W8 and it did look nice, however, I never actually used it. I've heard there are tweaks and no doubt, I would get used to it? Maybe? .......

PS, I checked on MS site and my multi printer and camera are compatible.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Be careful with the Mail option in Windows 8... it won't configure your email correctly unless you have a live account first.... silly MS.

12. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Hi Couriant,

Many thanks for the helpful reply. Did you mean Live Mail, or once I get myself online? Some while ago, I decided to stick with OE and so have never tried the Live Mail but no doubt I will have to if and once I get W8.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's just called Mail, which I think its the updated Windows Live Mail.

14. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Out of interest, I've just had a quick look online and found a person asking if he could install this on an XP computer and the answer was:
    No, you can't install Windows Mail on XP.
    The best solution for you is to upgrade both email programs to
    Windows Live Mail, which installs on both Vista and XP.
    http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

15. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I've always preferred Thunderbird as a replacement for OE.
    It's cross platform so it's easy to transfer everything to a different computer or OS and very customizable (can be made to look and work very similar to OE).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice