"Savely remove" external drives not possible - error message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Biffons

I cannot remove external USB drives using the "Savely remove" icon,

this error message appears:

Saying the device cannot be removed because of an unknown error.

I cannot find processes accessing that drive.

What could I do to make it work?

texasbullet

Ramon
You can try two options:
1. Restart your computer and try again removing your external hard drive.

2. Turn off your computer and then turn off your external hard drive (if applicable) or unplug the USB connector from your computer.

This has happened to me several times.

Biffons

Thank you very much!

Sorry, I had forgotten to mention that I want to safely remove the drives without shutting off the computer.

1. But when I restart anyway I just could plug the drive off when the computer is shut off.

That safely remove option does not appear to work for any of my different external drives.

Many thanks again

This is and has been a problem with windows 10. The issue is the software that is using the external drives. I have software that runs on W10 that will not release the drive and I have other software that does. Under windows 7 and 8.1 this problem didn't exist. Don't know if MS will fix it or force the 3rd party software companies to fix their software.

Note: A re-boot will normally correct the problem.

Biffons

Unfortunately it doesn't, that would have been pretty easy. I have rebooted some times, respectively very often, but the error keeps staying for each external drive.

Yes, Windows is just waste.

Is there a way to not to reboot (it often it is not possible) each time one wants to (safely) remove a drive?

If re-starting the system doesn't allow you to remove the external drive, then it has to be 3rd party software that is started automatically when you re-boot the system. I hate to recommend this, but what I have been doing is I try the "Safely Remove", if it fails, then I just "remove" (unplug it) the desired external drive. I've been doing this for about 8 months after installing windows 10 and have not had any problems as of yet. When I want to use the external drive later, I just plug it in. Windows seems to recognize it with no known problems.

texasbullet

Ramon
Did you install a driver when you connected your external hard drive to make it work?
Check your msconfig to see if any suspicious program may be running too.
Safe method to remove external hard drives when not wanting to be safely removed is just turn off your computer, unplug your external hard drive(s), USB, etc. and turn computer back on. I have been doing this for so long and never had any problems at all when reconnecting them into my computer.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
It could be that indexing or caching is taking place, at the time you try to remove the drive. I have modified my index so that this does not occur.
I have read, bit cannot , for the moment, find the official source, that this is an obsolete function in Windows 10.

But, in the Device manager, look under "Disk Drives. Right click the USB drive and select Properties.
under the general tab, select "quick removal.
Only precaution I take, if I do need to remove a usb device, is to make sure there is no activity light at the time. I haven't had any failures (yet!)

Biffons

If re-starting the system doesn't allow you to remove the external drive, then it has to be 3rd party software that is started automatically when you re-boot the system. I hate to recommend this, but what I have been doing is I try the "Safely Remove", if it fails, then I just "remove" (unplug it) the desired external drive. I've been doing this for about 8 months after installing windows 10 and have not had any problems as of yet. When I want to use the external drive later, I just plug it in. Windows seems to recognize it with no known problems.
I use the same programs like I did on Win 7, without having that issue.

Well, just removing the drive may cause some inconvenient damage, I suppose, corrupting the MFT, the file system, corrupt files. Although (by default) "Fast removing" or whatever it is called is activated. I had have too many problems with drives, so just removing one is...

Did you install a driver when you connected your external hard drive to make it work?
I did not install one by myself, but may be Win did, I do not know. All of my drives worked instantly when plugging them in.

Check your msconfig to see if any suspicious program may be running too.
I could not find any in the Task Manager, the same programs are running which have been running on Win 7. In msconfig there are not displayed programs, if I see it right.

Safe method to remove external hard drives when not wanting to be safely removed is just turn off your computer, unplug your external hard drive(s), USB, etc. and turn computer back on.
Yes, that appears to be a good way, but it is extremely inconvenient, I would think.

It could be that indexing or caching is taking place, at the time you try to remove the drive.
I would not think so, if I remember it right I never could remove a drive safely.

But, in the Device manager, look under "Disk Drives. Right click the USB drive and select Properties.
under the general tab, select "quick removal.
Yes, that is the default Win setting as far as I know, for all of my drives this option is enabled.

is to make sure there is no activity light at the time
I am not sure if that light always lights when Win accesses the drive / MFT or so.
I haven't had any failures (yet!)
And if a file gets corrupt you may notice it some time later and then you may be do not have any connection to the cause anymore. And even if there are no activities the cache might not be flushed (though it should be according to the default setting, but the safely remove option does not work may be the flush doesn't work either).

I have read, bit cannot , for the moment, find the official source, that this is an obsolete function in Windows 10.
Sorry, what function is obsolete?

texasbullet

Ramon
"Yes, that appears to be a good way, but it is extremely inconvenient, I would think."

Well, that is the only method you can do to disconnect your hard drive.
Maybe Microsoft will make another update patch to correct this problem sometime in the near future.

The only app that can possibly help here is Sysinternals Process Monitor, which displays and records every I/O. You can use it to figure out exactly what app is using the drive(s) in question.

You can watch it scroll and look for the drive letters or use the various summary reports available.

You can download ProcMon free from Microsoft TechNet - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

Be sure to run it "as Administrator". It is a stand alone executable, so no installation is necessary.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Biffons

Well, that is the only method you can do to disconnect your hard drive.
Well, actually I cannot believe it...of course I know Windows is the last dirt, but somehow I cannot imagine such a basic function is missing, even in such a waste OS like Win.

The only app that can possibly help here is Sysinternals Process Monitor, which displays and records every I/O. You can use it to figure out exactly what app is using the drive(s) in question.
I had tried "Unlocker" some times but it does not show any processes accessing the external drive to be ejected.

Many thanks for the link / program, jcgriff2.

I do not know how to use it, so this is the window I have look at the path column, I could imagine or not, there are shown over 5 millions events or so, I cannot not sort the events / paths:

So, how could I use the program to find these processes?

"But, in the Device manager, look under "Disk Drives. Right click the USB drive and select Properties.
under the general tab, select "quick removal."
"Yes, that is the default Win setting as far as I know, for all of my drives this option is enabled."

Whoa - If you have all of your drives setup for "Quick Removal", there is no need to use "Safely Remove".

Same function was true under Windows 7.

Biffons

Whoa - If you have all of your drives setup for "Quick Removal", there is no need to use "Safely Remove".
Unfortunately it should not be like that, if I am right. The cache with this option enabled will be emptied after an action / transfer immediately, but the drive might be accessed by Win to do some services, e.g. write, rewrite, edit the MFT or so.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts