1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving a Software Program During Reinstall of OS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by clayton1953, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayton1953

clayton1953 Thread Starter

Hi All

I'm using a Dell XPS 400, XP SP3, Media Center and am wondering if there is some way to save a program that I have on this machine, when I no longer can find the CD that came with the hardware.

Years back I used to have a flatbed scanner that had a very nice (for me anyhow) scanning program.
    Some time ago the scanner quit and I apparently tossed the CD that contained the software. I know I could go online and get the upgraded software, but I am very happy with this version, and as so often happens, the upgrades are not always an improvement.

Anyhow, I need to reinstall my OS, but want to keep the scanning software, if I can. Is there some way that I can do this?

Any help will be appreciated.

The software is PaperPort, I can't recall the version number, but I want to keep this if there is a way to do so.

Thanks.

Mr. C

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    If you look at XP's 'Add and Remove' programmes option, it may list the version number there.
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs. Don't remove it but see if the version number is shown.
    I think the PaperPort website will have a contact us option - they may have links to old versions unless anyone here knows of one.

Hope this helps a bit at least.

Richard

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice