1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving avi or wmv files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Genevive, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Genevive

Genevive Thread Starter

Hi all I was wondering how to save a file to avi or wmv format using windows movie maker? When I click on save project as the only option to save it as is the windows movie maker. I want to upload a video on youtube and the format isn't right. How do I do this. I'm using windows vista, does that come with something to change the format that I can use? Thanks for your help. Genevive:confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What format does it want to save in? I thought wmv was its default format.

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You have to render it out as a movie file of choice, it sounds like all you are doing is trying to save the project file which is just a list of edits and adjustments you've made to one or more clips of video you've imported into WMM so that you can go back later and finish your edits or change what you've already done.

4. caraewilton

caraewilton

Fairnooks as always is correct. You need to click on Publish to my computer. Follow the wizard and it will create a wmv. The vista version also has an option to create an avi, but the older versions don't. You get the best quality just selecting wmv. This will work for you tube, google video and even blogger. If you need an alternative format, you can use Free Video Converter.

5. Genevive

Genevive Thread Starter

Thanks, after I posted my question I did the publish movie wizard and I got it to save to (video clip) avi file. But I have another question, I went to put it on you tube and it was taking forever, longer than 10mins. And it didn't go through to you tube. The video isn't very big...94.0MB. So any input on why it's taking so long? Thanks, Genevive

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What kind of internet connection do you have?

7. Genevive

Genevive Thread Starter

I have verizon.com which I think is dsl. Genevive

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm not familiar with what speeds they have. Generally upload speeds are quite a bit slower than download. How much time are we talking about? 94 MB's is a pretty huge file, so it may take some time.

9. Genevive

Genevive Thread Starter

Can I use the windows media low bandwidth in the windows movie maker to upload the file to youtube. As you can tell I don't know anything about this stuff. Thanks, Genevive

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Give it a try. I need to figure this stuff out each time since I do it all so rarely. :D You really should have high bandwidth, but if something doesn't seem to be working, try the low.

11. Genevive

Genevive Thread Starter

I tried the windows media low bandwidth in windows movie maker and when I uploaded it to youtube it didn't look clear. So I'm going to try different things. I tried the option to compress it to 4MB and it was taking a long time but my son was on the xbox so it made things slow. I'm going to try later. I'll let you know. Thanks, Genevive

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Probably the low-bandwidth thing compresses the file so it will be smaller and poorer quality.

The 2 experts above ought to be back around later (they seem to have a lot of multimedia knowledge and experience), so if you don't figure it out, check back later.

13. caraewilton

caraewilton

A 98mb file is massive and will take ages to upload, even if you have a dsl line. As for reducing the size. If you reduce the size of the file, you will loose quality.
    What sort of stuff is this video made up of, i.e. what was the original source. If you have photographs, you can reduce the size of the photos, then put them into your video. Do you have music? If so, what type of file. If you have mp3 you could lower the quality of the track without it really being noticeable. I.e. most mp3 are riped at 128, but you could rip at 96 which would greatly reduce the size of the file.
    I have used free converter (mentioned earlier) to reduce the size of files by reducing the size of the video screen, i.e. not playing at 800X600 but by 320X240. Quality looks okay but in a much smaller window.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice