1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving Bios Changes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by QBA, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. QBA

QBA Thread Starter

Hi

Guys I'm trying to fix a friend old pentium III system with a "Intel" mother board (Bios Version : 4S4EB2X0.86A.0017.P10) the bios doesn't seem to remember the changes I have saved, this is the 5th time I keep making the CD-Room drive (ATAPI CD-ROM Driv) as a "First Boot Device" using the "+" sign then going to the "Exit" tab choosing "Exit Saving Changes" pressing "enter" and then "Enter" again to say yes to save the changes and exit, but the changes are never really saved.

Any ideas what can I do to fix this issue?

thanks

Alex

2. norton850

norton850

You probably need a new battery(on the motherboard). When you power off the changes are not being "remembered".

3. QBA

QBA Thread Starter

Hey good thinking there Norton, that make sense :) , Let me give it a try

thanks bro

Alex

4. QBA

QBA Thread Starter

I replace the mother board battery by a brand new one and the changes are being saved on my bios

Now the bios has my CD-Room as the first bootable drive but the System is not giving me the choice to boot from the CD-Drive once I restart, so is going straight into the harddrive and the XP CD is working fine because it boots in another system.

Why should I do about this?

5. norton850

norton850

Always good to check the obvious. :) Before you click save, is the CDROM the first device that you see listed?

Try resetting the BIOS to optimal or default configuration. Save and exit. Reboot and then go back into BIOS make the boot drive change and see if it will save the change.

If this doesn't work make your changes and try to save things by hitting the F10 key

6. QBA

QBA Thread Starter

Thanks Norton the changes are saved like I said above, and CD-Room is the first on the list of boot device :)

So even when the CD-room is now listed as first bootable device on the list of my bios I should still restoring the default of the bios and making the CD-room drive as a bootable device again?

7. norton850

norton850

Sorry, sorry, sorry. Don't do what I said. I misread your answer. So the BIOS is now OK. But your WinXP is bypassed on startup?

8. QBA

QBA Thread Starter

Yes Norton is going straight into the hard drive

9. norton850

norton850

I can't come up with an answer for you, but perhaps this will bump up your post and someone else will have an idea. I do have a crazy suggestion. If you have a floppy drive, set the boot order for floppy then CDROM. Of course don't put a disk in the floppy. See what happens.`

10. *ne0n*

*ne0n*

11. drkilldrmz

drkilldrmz

Why not boot to windows, and start the setup process from there?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice