1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving data before reformatting when I can't get in?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ztagrl, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ztagrl

ztagrl Thread Starter

I'm having multiple issues on my Compaq Presario 700z notebook, including an unmountable_boot_volume error, dac2w2k.sys error, and ntkrnlmp.exe error. Compaq has told me I will have to reformat the HD and reinstall windows. The tech I chatted with said I could take it to a service center to retrieve my data before doing this. Can anyone tell me how to do that from home?

Thanks,

Brooke

2. MTDrew

MTDrew

well most tech that work with laptops carry a external 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure, you remove the drive from the laptop and stick it in the external and copy the data
    they can be bought for $40 generally

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can use an enclosure as suggested or an adaptor to use the secondary channel of a working pc

4. ztagrl

ztagrl Thread Starter

Ok, after researching a bit, I've run across both these terms (enclosure and adapter). The adapter is obviously cheaper, but does this mean I'll have to open up the desktop, too? How difficult is this? I don't want to ruin another computer here. I'm a software developer, but not too hardware-savvy...

Thanks,

Brooke

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Opening the desktop is not difficult, but if you are reluctant to do that, an enclosure will allow you to attach via USB . .

If you decide to use the adaptor, attach it to the secondary channel . . the one with the cd/dvd drives to salvage the data.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!