1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving Files before PC dies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JuliaR, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuliaR

JuliaR Thread Starter

Looking back at my old posts and seeing what I was able to do, it seems that the older I get, the less I know what I'm doing.

Pretty sure my 9 yr old Dell E510 running XP will be dying soon. We have a newer laptop and desktop both running Windows 10. I used to save everything on the old pc by saving files to CD-R's but now I have tons of disks and still more files that have never been saved.

Basically I want to just transfer everything on the old pc to the new one as efficiently as possible. I took a look at the macrium free option but not sure it's what I need. The disk drive hasn't worked in yrs so I use an Iomega Hotburn Pro to open and save to discs.

Also, we only have microsoft office on the old pc so if I can transfer that to the new, that would be great. It's the old non subscription version. My kids use google drive for school and my husband can use word through his work interface but we would still need word to access old resumes and such.

Apparently once upon a time, I was able to open the old pc up, replace the fan and power supply, upgrade my memory, etc... Now anything more than press the button to turn it on is a challenge (n)

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can copy data files like documents, photos etc onto a Usb stick then copy them off the stick onto the new computer.

You can't move Office though, you will have to buy a new version for Windows 10 or maybe try a free compatible substitute like Libre Office :- https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/

AmateurJohn likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice