1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

saving files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hhendrix, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhendrix

hhendrix Thread Starter

can a CSV file be saved as a FTP flat file. If so, how?
    I have never heard of this being done, but a friend swears it is possible and wants to know how...FRIENDS...:)

2. Rockn

Rockn

What do you mean by a flat file? Just for my own info and possible solution. I know what you are talking about....just save it as a txt file and you can call it fron ASP or any other active web page.

3. hhendrix

hhendrix Thread Starter

That is a good question...I am not sure what is meant by flat file. That is just the terminology the customer used. I will try to find out.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    A flat file is nothing more than a *database*. In other words it has column headings (maybe) and then data under that.

A CSV file IS a flat file format; there are others. A text file is only a flat file if it is as described above.

I don't understand what an FTP flat file is 'cause FTP ain't a file format, it's a way to transfer files.

So maybe they said FTP a flat file?

5. hhendrix

hhendrix Thread Starter

That was where my confusion came in...I always thought FTP was transfering and nothing more.
    I will find out and see...
    Thanks guys for your help...I will update as soon as I get an answer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/95427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice