1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

saving floppy files onto cds

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by starchild, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

What is the best, quickest, easiest way to do this?

I have a box of floppy disks, (misc files and pictures, I've saved over the years) and now have a cd burner. I'd like to go over the floppies and save them on a cd.

I thought I could save the whole floppy file from each, (not all the separate files on them) but don't see how to do that.

I just tried opening the cd burning program (NTI) and opening the floppy in it, and dragging all the files on the floppy to the cd burning place.

This worked good, and saved them on the cd. But, when I try to open them they say there's an error. I can't access them. I check and it says "read only" (the cd file).

I'm thinking I have to open them, or send them to MY DOCS from the floppy first, and then burn them to the cd from there? I could probably set them up in folders, too, though it seems like a big, time consuming job. But, would be more organized to have all the graphics, text docs, etc. in a folder and then burn them like that.

I was alert enough to try one as a test (then try opening it) before I did them all.

Figured I'd get some info from the experts.

I am using CD-R disks, but have some CD-RW I haven't figured out how to use yet. I've been told they can be used like floppies, and if I had the right program, maybe I could send the floppy files TO the cd-burner (E drive)? Have heard that new pcs don't even have A drives anymore, that cd-rw are used instead.

Not anything really important, just figured I could get all my floppy files organized on a cd (or 2) A little at a time, as I have free time.

~ Carrie

2. hewee

hewee

I would but them on your hard drive first and get them all in order the way you like. Then make a Data copy of it to the CD

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Thanks, Hewee

That's the conclusion I came to, but thought I might be missing something.

It's been known to happen before. :)

~ Carrie

4. FinestRanger

FinestRanger

http://www.vallen.de/freeware/index.html

this is the prog I use to view jpgs...u can view the ones u want (on floppy) and send them to a folder on your harddrive. I love it. Also, try SavePicNoAsk from UnH Solutions, Inc. It'll save .jpgs to a folder of your choosing (if u like to dl .jpgs from websites). Hope this helps.;)

5. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Thanks

I love finding new programs- especially when they're free :)

~ Carrie

6. FinestRanger

FinestRanger

u're welcome! :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice