1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving Hotmail To Oe

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by grandpaw7, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Is there a way for me to save Hotmail letters to OE without opening OE? I'm reading something that says how to save a Hotmail letter on my computer. It says to get the printer friendly version of the letter, then click File and Save As, and then indicate where I want it saved. Is there some way I can indicate I want it saved in OE? Thanks, grandpaw

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Save in OE without opening OE? I am confused by what you are saying :confused:

Well you can save it in a file with an extension .eml. So when you double click on it, it will be opened using OE. But I don't think there is any way of saving a mail in one of the folders in OE without opening OE.

The best way of saving hotmail messages in OE is to have a hotmail account in OE and synchronise the folders.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I think I understand what you are trying to do, as I had a user get that idea too ;)

You'll need to create a file folder, call it saved hotmail messages, as either txt files or html.

It really would be easier (as stated above) just to set up hotmail coming directly into Outlook Express....just go to add new email account, and hotmail is pretty much built in..........

4. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Okay, I'll just open OE when I want to move hotmail messages offline to an OE folder. I do have my hotmail account set up in OE. Just for the record, as we lawyers, including retired ones are wont to say, what I now do is open hotmail, check the spam, and block it. (OE does not give me the option of blocking hotmail spam.) Then, I want to move various emails remaining to an offline OE folder. So I close hotmail, open OE, and do the moving. What I was wanting is to be able to move hotmail letters to OE without having to close hotmail and open OE. grandpaw

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Grandpaw, you might check out this program......I think you might be able to do what you are asking with it........

http://www.mailwasher.net/

I've seen other people recommend it here, and I tested it for a couple of days and it seemed to allow me to block hotmail before it downloaded into my Outlook Express ;)

6. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, AcaCandy. I have Mailwasher but what I was looking for was a way to block spam and also move letters to OE without having to go to two different programs to do this.

Actually, I've quit using Mailwasher and instead use Hotmail's Block program. I presume that one serves no better purpose than the other. If I'm overlooking something, and there is a reason why Mailwasher does a better blocking job, I wish somebody would let me know.

grandpaw

7. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I think you will have to stick with hotmail's capacity to block spam. The reason is that actually hotmail is and remains a web-based mail provider. All the action actually happens at the folders on their servers. What we actually do in OE is just synchronise the folders so that we get a copy of the folders as it exists on the servers. Of course there are some things that we do in OE and it gets refelected in Hotmail. But thats just a topping or a dressing to this big bunch of salad called hotmail and its not the real stuff.

8. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thanks, AbvAvg, for your input. Can you comment on whether there is any advantage to using a program such as Mailwasher, rather than using Hotmail, to block spam? Of course, it's easier to use Hotmail since I don't have to go to another program to do that. I presume that advantage of using Mailwasher is the availability on Mailwasher of these lists of spam senders which Mailwasher will automatically delete messages from. But is there any other advantage? grandpaw

9. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

grandpaw7 said ...

Sorry grandpaw7. I have never used mailwasher so I do not know how it works. But I trust, when I am using hotmail, I will rather prefer their code that blocks spam rather than someone else interfering in it. It surely has some levels of spam blocking. Check them out if they meet your needs.

As regards mailwasher, wait here for someone who can tell you about it. TSG Forums is full of people ready, willing and able to help :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice