1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving IE 6 to CDROM

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DanielLee, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DanielLee

DanielLee Thread Starter

Hi,
    I do computer work for a living, I frequently have to reformat hard drives and I want a way to save the IE6 I have on my computer and the updates to a CDROM so I don't have to re download it every time I want it. I know I can order it but I am lining in Mexico and so far it hasn't made it here and probably never will.

I would also like to find a way to save the updates for Windows 98 SE to CDRom so I don't have to download those every time as well.

Does anyone have the information or know where I can get the information I am looking for?

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

2. Sponsor

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy Daniel

Here's how I burn IE6 to CD

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Howdy

If you try to download from a machine that has XP or already has
    IE6 I think you can only get the setup files then when you click them it will only give you the updates that you need but...

If you do this from a 98 machine running IE5.01 or 5.5 you should be able to download the setup file as well as the complete IE6 package and burn it to a CD yourself so you can install it anytime

start here...http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/ie6/download.asp

Make a folder and download the setup file to it... then go to the file and run it...accept the agreement and click next... then select install minimal and click next... in the next window make sure the new folder you created is in the folder to install to line then click advanced...in the popup window put a check in Download only and click OK...then click next...Again make sure the path to download to is the same new folder you created and select the type of system to install on and click next.

When that finishes downloading you should be able to burn that folder to a CD and have the complete IE6 browser with the setup files.

I have done this and it works fine...I just hope I typed it all correct :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a link to the 98 updates. You should be able to download and burn them to a cd also. 98 updates

hope that help you some

buck

4. rkselby98

rkselby98

The link provided above will only download the setup file for IE 6. If you download it then double click on it, it will take you to a download program that will install and not download the IE 6 file that you want to save.

This link will not help you and right now I have to go to town and cannot look up the correct link.

Type download IE 6 in the web address location and let the search engine find a site where you can download the file with the IE 6 program on it.

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy Rick

I noted that that link would not work from an XP machine or a machine that already has IE6 ....It works perfect from a 98 machine

buck

6. rkselby98

rkselby98

I have win98 on this machine and it wanted to take me to the site that downloads and installs.

Maybe if IE 6 is already installed it might work that way, not sure but on a win98 it will not work on all machines.

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy again Rick

It does not work if IE6 is already installed and it does not work on all machines

It does work from a 98 machine...I have done it many times

You do have to run the setup file to get to the download only option for the rest of the files

buck

8. rkselby98

rkselby98

I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, I just wanted others to know that it might not work for them.

If it is downloaded and installed on a machine it should be there so you can move it to a cd.

IE has a repair program and that is run from information off of the computer IE is on so the setup program has to be on the machine for it to repair itself.

This should be the same for IE 6, IE 5x also.

I am going to update my web site a little and then I will see if I can find it on this computer.

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy again

I assume you are correct... but...whenever the question of burning IE to disk comes up those basic directions are given rather than burning from the existing files on there hard drive...
    maybe because it's easier than trying to find everything on your hard drive..I'm curious now

buck

10. rkselby98

rkselby98

I think they do it because it is much simplier for most who aren't up on computing is why they do it that way. I have my image on my site now and have it updated so now I can do a little research here now.

I'll let you know, I am courious also, but if it can do a repair the files have to be here and for those who have a 56K modem, we don't want to go through 2 hours of downloading again.

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi DanielLee, I live in Mexico too, so I know where you're coming from. What I do, is when I make it to the states, I keep one of the newest MSN internet access cds handy that they keep shipping to you in the mail....it always has the latest version of Explorer. You'll have the cute little MSN butterfly in the right hand corner, but I can live with that if it means not sitting thru the whole download........ ;)

12. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

I'll be interested in what you find...

I was under the impression ( probably a bad one :) ) that you could not extract all the IE files necessary from your hard drive that could be burned to a cd and then installed on another computer

PS... sorry to kind of hijack your thread DanielLee if your still out there

buck

13. rkselby98

rkselby98

Okay this is what I have come up with as far as being able to take it off of a computer it is installed on.

It will not work. The repair in IE Explorer is run throught IE Explorer and not a setup.exe. SO if you did find the files it wouldn't be as simple as clicking on the .exe file. You would probably have to rewrite another file to open the setup.

So with this let's all go to the mall and get a cd with it on. Aca, that is definitly the easiest way to do this.

14. johnpaul

johnpaul

I think this explains it, step-by-step.

JP

15. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy JP

thanks for that

that link had been dead for quite along time ...that's where my info came from originally

glad to see it back active

buck

16. johnpaul

johnpaul

You're welcome, buck. It took me a while to find it, but I knew I had it around here, somewhere....:)

JP

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!