1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving items from non-standard applications to Google Drive

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bj nick, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I am paranoid (and rightfully so) about saving everything in multiple locations....generally my go-to online backup is Google Drive. For MS applications and the like, there's no issue. But I use Finale and Scrivener a lot, and I'd like to use GD for docs, etc, created in those programs. However, I was just told that GD can "mess with them" in the process of saving/opening them/etc, so rather than just storing them, they can interact with them, I guess is the way to express it........I just want them stored for backup peace of mind. so I'd like to know my best option w/such files in GD. Thanks!

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Who told you this?

This is just a setting in GD that will allow you to share with and collaborate with users in real time. MS has something similar in onedrive and Office.

As for you question....you have 3 choices....physically save them on the C drive (you can create a new partition - new drive), buy an external drive (I highly recommend), use an online storage service suck as Google Drive, Onedrive or any of the other online storage services.

I do both.....I have a case that has a built in docking station. I just drop in a HDD, let it recognize the drive (takes 3-5 seconds) and then move my data as needed. Then I use Google drive for a online back up service, but I have the 100 GB package ($20 a year) and mainly use that for pictures/videos/important documents.
    Remember, GD/OD are basic and limited in storage space. GD offers 15 GB free and OD offers 5 GB free.

There' also another option is a NAS - Network Attached Storage. The initial setup for this can be expensive. IMHO.....well worth the investment.

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks for this. I basically do all this already, so I guess my instincts are right. I save things to multiple locations (desktop, folders, other drives) as well as to an external drive......and, to GD. My thought all along is the old "What if there was a fire?" which burned up my computer? That would take all the backup files, plus the external drive. So stuff like important documents, images, videos, etc, are all backed up to GD.

Re: GD "messing with stuff." I was told that putting things in GD is not just putting them on a shelf for secure storage, so to speak. GD would open them/deal with them in whatever way they could find.....does that make sense? In other words, with files from Finale, for example, GD would do the best they could, but their efforts might cause weirdness. (The person who told me is a lifetime computer professional.)

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

That's all new to me.....but who really knows what big corporate giants really do. We can only take their word for it.

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I hope I'm explaining this properly. What I need/expect of Google Drive is that I upload whatever doc/product/etc. I need to, and it is parked there until I need to download it. GD doesn't need to open such doc or product; I've got my own application to open it. I realize GD can't be equipped to open every one of the zillions of different file formats out there.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

That's what the 2 prior posts where about.....

No, they're not supposed to....but again, who's knows what they really do behind closed doors. Prime example is FB. They collect your data with out your knowledge, use it how they see fit and then denied they did it. They just got caught is all. Hell govt's. do it all the time.

I don't know what else to tell you. That being said, you can see what other online storage services are out there, check the reviews, check with known users of said service and make and informed choice.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/306323/the-best-cloud-storage-providers-and-file-syncing-services

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    There is really no telling if they are opening your files to view them.

I do know however that if you may lose some formatting if you are opening your files in Google's apps, like an excel document in Google Sheets.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

if you don't want GD to corrupt your files/programs, then compressed them before uploading. 7z, WinRar, and tons of less familiar ones.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice