1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving my files to D: instead of C: help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chrisbwfc, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisbwfc

chrisbwfc Thread Starter

Hi there. On 'my computer' it says I have two drives, a C: Drive and a D: Drive. Now, my C: drive is 116gb and there is only 1.12gb free :mad: On my D: drive, it is 329gb with only 325gb free.

How do I go about saving my files to my D drive, and moving my files from C drive to D drive without moving any important files.

[​IMG]

Cheers

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

Wow!, that is quite a bit of disk consumption. Do you have any idea where most of it went (pictures, music, movies?). If you don't know, there are a few tools out there which give a human-readable graphic display of where all your drive space is going. SpaceMonger is probably one of the more popular ones. There is also TreeSize

You have 2 choices,
    1) move the big stuff off of there -- but if you don't know where the space is going, then that will be a challenge. If you decide to go this route, create some folders on D:\ where the various file types will go.

2) resize the C: partition -- Easeus has a free-for-home partition re-sizer which is very easy to use. http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm . It will take space from D: (as much as you want) and put it on C: .

Also, if this data is important to you back it up to an external hard drive.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

What Operating System ? ?

4. chrisbwfc

chrisbwfc Thread Starter

I have loads of music and video files in my C drive. Whenever I download, it just saves them in C drive. How can I change it so it saves them in the bigger D drive?

And I am on Windoes 7.

5. PedroHin

PedroHin

Whatever applications you are using, I'm sure they have some type of option for a default file saving location.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

7. chrisbwfc

chrisbwfc Thread Starter

Thanks to PedroHin. Just partitioned my C drive. Got it sorted.

Cheers

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice