Saving my files to D: instead of C: help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chrisbwfc

Hi there. On 'my computer' it says I have two drives, a C: Drive and a D: Drive. Now, my C: drive is 116gb and there is only 1.12gb free :mad: On my D: drive, it is 329gb with only 325gb free.

How do I go about saving my files to my D drive, and moving my files from C drive to D drive without moving any important files.

Cheers

Wow!, that is quite a bit of disk consumption. Do you have any idea where most of it went (pictures, music, movies?). If you don't know, there are a few tools out there which give a human-readable graphic display of where all your drive space is going. SpaceMonger is probably one of the more popular ones. There is also TreeSize

You have 2 choices,
1) move the big stuff off of there -- but if you don't know where the space is going, then that will be a challenge. If you decide to go this route, create some folders on D:\ where the various file types will go.

2) resize the C: partition -- Easeus has a free-for-home partition re-sizer which is very easy to use. http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm . It will take space from D: (as much as you want) and put it on C: .

Also, if this data is important to you back it up to an external hard drive.

chrisbwfc

I have loads of music and video files in my C drive. Whenever I download, it just saves them in C drive. How can I change it so it saves them in the bigger D drive?

And I am on Windoes 7.

Whatever applications you are using, I'm sure they have some type of option for a default file saving location.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online