1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving Office file thru Desktop Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by will5445, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. will5445

will5445 Thread Starter

All of the sudden, when I try to save an Office file thru a Desktop shortcut, I cannot even see my shortcuts when I choose Save As-select Desktop on the left hand side.

I used to be able to see all my shortcuts and clicking on them would take me to the folder. Now all I see is My Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places.

I used the shortcuts almost all the time so I wouldn't have to go all the way from the Shared drive top folder all the way to the folder I wanted.

Even when I try to open a file using the shortcuts and I click on the shortcut, it trys to open the shortcut instead of taking me to the folder when the shortcut is directed.

I have check the properties of my shortcuts and they are directed to the correct paths.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. will5445

will5445 Thread Starter

3. surferdude2

surferdude2

Ryan,

I suspect you're not getting any attention because your post is somewhat hard to understand.

That sounds like a problem with the Office software.

Does that mean that the only visable icons on your Desktop are those three you mention? That sounds like a Windows system shell problem.

I thought you didn't have any shortcuts! Nevertheless, this sounds like a file association problem with the .lnk files.

Again, I thought you couldn't see any shortcuts! Nevertheless, when you view the shortcut properties and see that the target is correct, what happens when you click on "Find Target" button?

Check in the Desktop directory for your user identity and see if the shortcuts are listed there. Type %userprofile%\desktop in a Run window to view that directory.

Check the .lnk file association by typing assoc .lnk in a command line session. It should say .lnk=lnkfile in response.

4. will5445

will5445 Thread Starter

Sorry for not being clear.

Here is my problem:

Since I deal with a lot of shared drives, I have placed shortcuts on my desktop to a lot of the commonly used folders on the shared drives. This saved me time when trying to save or open a file instead of having to go to My Computer, select the shared drive, and then drill down through multiple folders to the one where I eventually wanted to save the file to or open the file from.

In the past, when I saved an Office file, I could select the "Save As" option, then inside the "Save As" window I would select "Desktop" from the left hand side. Once I selected "Desktop," all of my Desktop shortcuts would appear in the main window along with My Computer, My Documents, and My Network Places. Then I could click on one of my desktop shortcuts and it would take me directly to the folder where the shortcut was pointed. I could then hit the "Save" button and the file would be saved to the folder where the shortcut is pointed to.

Now, when I do the same steps, I click "Save As" and select "Desktop" from the left hand side, the only items that appear in the main window are My Computer, My Documents, and My Network Places. None of my shortcuts are listed anymore.

Checking the Shortcut properties, I click the "Find Target" button and it opens the appropriate target location.

I checked the Desktop Directory for my user identity and the shortcuts are listed there.

When I type %userprofile%\desktop into a Run Window I get a pop-up that ask me which program I would like to open desktop.lnk with.

When I type assoc.lnk into a command line, the response is .lnk-lnkfile

5. surferdude2

surferdude2

Thanks, I understand somewhat better now.

All seems well with your shortcuts on the Desktop as for file association.

What comes to mind is the possibility that you have inadvertantly saved some Word document to the wrong user profile, that is to say perhaps the Default User profile(usually a blank Desktop). That would change what Word offers as the first choice from then on. To change that setting back you would need to click File > Save As> and scroll the Save In window to the C: drive and drill on down to the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop and save some expendable document to that location. That will change the Word program setting so that you'll be offered the proper profile desktop for all future Save As menus.

If that doesn't address your situation, I'm still bothered by the fact that you couldn't get the %userprofile%\Desktop to run/open from a run window. That's not normal and may be a clue for further use??

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice