1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

saving on floppy disk

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kattmandu70, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kattmandu70

kattmandu70 Thread Starter

Help, I am having trouble with a font! I have 98 windows and everytime I save my stuff from word to floppy disk I can not print it somewhere else! We haven't bought a printer yet! When I pull the floppy disk up on the other computer it is all gibberish with continuous yyyyyy's and boxes! Did I get a lemon computer or what is wrong?
    Thank you all so much!

2. Rockn

Rockn

What application did you save it from and does the computer you are trying to open it on have the same application? If you save a document to disk in MS Word and try to open it on another computer without MS Word installed it's not going to open.

3. Gram123

Gram123

If you do have MS Word installed on both PCs, is it the same version of Word on both? Do you have the font you are using available on both?
    It's possible that you have a font on the first PC that is not on the second PC. If so, you can copy the font file from the first PC and save it on your second PC to rectify the problem.

Gram

4. kattmandu70

I don't know what applications are but I was typing in microsoft works word processor. The high school and the college both have word on their computers. My son tried to type and save his paper and print at the high school. It didn't work

5. kattmandu70

how do I check and see what font we are both at? Do you mean word 98 and word 97?

6. Gram123

Gram123

Okay, an application is a program, so MS Works and MS Word are two different applications.
    I'm sure it's possible to transfer Works files into Word, but you may need to have an add-in installed - Dreamboat or someone will probably be able to tell you more on this.

The font you are using is shown at the top of the screen in Word(on the Formatting toolbar). It is usually Times New Roman or Arial by default, but this may be irrelevant if you are transferring from one program to another.

When you save a file on a PC using Word, you could always save it as "text only" - I'm not sure, but I'd guess that this would be readable in Works. As such, it probably works the other way round too.

Gram

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!