1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving or delteing files reboots computer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Chemmachine, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chemmachine

Chemmachine Thread Starter

I'm sorry. I seem to use this forum only when I have a problem. I really appreciate the help given out on this thanks. Thanks to everyone who has helped!

Now, onto the problems. It seems that 80% of the time I either try to save or delete a file, the computer reboots. I'm really not sure what the problem could be. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chemmachine

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what the operating system (windows version XP , 98 ME, etc

3. Chemmachine

Windows Xp Pro SP2

4. heinz57

heinz57

When did it start happening? Did you recently install SP2?

5. Chemmachine

It started slowly. About a month ago I noticed I couldn't delete large amounts of files without it restarting, so I would delete small groups of files. Then I eventually had to delete one file at a time. I'm developing product on this computer, so I find myself trying to work more than fixing whatever is wrong with the computer. About a week ago I tried to save a file and the computer restarted. It was with one specific program, then it started doing it with several programs. It didn't do it all the time, but now it does.

6. heinz57

heinz57

Just for the heck of it try this:
    1. Start > Run.
    2. Type in sfc /scannow.
    3. Click ok and run that.

1. Start > Run.
    2. Type in CMD.
    3. Click ok and in the back command screen type Chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f
    4. You will probably have to restart the computer.

If that helps at all.

7. Chemmachine

I was able to run the chkdsk function, but as soon as I ran "sfc /scannow" the computer rebooted. Do you think maybe this is a RAM issue?

8. heinz57

heinz57

It could be but most of the time if RAM is damaged, your computer will not boot.

You could try changing the ram, although it could also be a hard drive issue. I am thinking it may be some conflict in windows.

You could try reinstalling your OS...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice