SAving outlook mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

staffingpro

This may be a foolish question, but I Have been trying to backup my email on outlook 2010, I have gone to the Microsoft site and just cannot figure it out. I know I am supposed to be looking for .pst file. I find a data file but no .pst. I must be missing something. I need to reinstall Microsoft 2010 package but need to save these files before I do that. I also have in the address book section contacts I would like to save. Does saving the .pst file also save the contacts in the address book. Everyone says it is very simple but I must be missing something or reading to much into it. Garty

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
The Outlook PST file is a hidden system file. So you need to go to Windows Explorer, Tools, Foolder Options and then the view tab.
Ther scroll down and select "Show Hidden Files, Folder, or Drives".
Ok yourself out.
The Browse to Users/'username'/app data/ local/microsoft/Outlook
Ther you should see you pst file.

staffingpro

that is not working. the only thing I am seeing at that level is roamcach. Also I have set it to show hidden files. Gary

I don't believe that the pst is typically a hidden file, so that might be a bit of a red herring.

If you still can open existing install of Outlook, and easy way to find where your pst is hiding is right from within Outlook.

In the tree view that shows all of your email folders, scroll to the very top - above inbox even, and you should see the root of the tree there - likely says "Outlook" but could say something else too. Right click it and in the menu at the bottom choose Data File Properties.

In that dialog, click the Advanced button. In there it will tell you where the pst the full name and path of the pst file. You can copy that, close outlook, open explorer, paste in the path and remove the actual file name (example: if the full path is c:\outlook data\outlook.pst, remove outlook.pst), and press enter. Explorer will open to the correct location and now you can copy the pst where ever you want.

You may want to create your own easier to find location when setting up outlook again - I always use \Outlook data on my machines to keep it easy.

Is your computer set to show "known file extentions", if not it will not show the PST extention after the file name.

Windows Explorer, Tools, Foolder Options and then the view tab. Scroll down and uncheck hide extentions for known file types

staffingpro

I can get to the hidden file section thorough control panel. The box is checked to show hidden files. When going into explorer, I do not see a tools. only thing that shows is folders and not much else. There is nowhere I see a tools Icon or anything else.

I apologize, I was going by your specs that list Windows XP, if you are using Win7, then Organize > Folder and search options, then the view tab. Its the same screen as the "hidden file section" just another checkbox.

staffingpro

Ok, the hidden file box was already checked. I got to the view a while back. I did an export in outlook, and sent the data file to my document. in Doc the Type says data file and it is a fairly large file. So I am making the assumption I have the files saved there.

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
What type of "Data" file did you export to?

I am not sure that you have got anything that is going to be usable.

The contacts can be exported to a Excel file, but the emails and Calendar, I am not sure what they can be export to and still usable as an import file.

You need to locate your PST file and save it to a external drive. Then you can restore it to any machine running the same or newer version of Outlook.

staffingpro

I xported it to documents. I need to figure out where that pst file. I am still not seeing the words PST anywhere

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
Mine is at "C:\Users\'username'\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook"
This is on a Windows 7 64 bit with Office 2010.

With Outlook open, right click the "inbox" and select "Properties'.
There open the "Auto Archive" tab.
In the box below "Move old items to" you will see that path to your "Outlook.pst" file. You may need to select one of the lower buttons to see the full path. Be sure to "Cancel" out of this pane if you do any selecting.

If you see a file "Outlook" with no PST extension, then you must have the "Known Extensions" turned off.

This can be changed in the same area in Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online