1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

saving picture from internet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blacklabs, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blacklabs

blacklabs Thread Starter

OK, i'll right click on a pic, select save picture as. Gives you two options. Save as .art or .bmp . When you save to either and then try to open the pic it doesn't work, ever....

How do i fix that. Using XP home

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

When you try to open a .bmp, what exactly happens?

Do you get an error message, does it open the program and do nothing? Does it state anything about file associations?

Any addtional info can help us narrow down the problem.

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Go to start/programs/accessories/paint

paint opens bitmaps
    if for some reason you don't have ms-paint . You can download irfanview to open all images.
    http://www.irfanview.com
    be sure & get the english version
    Supported file formats: AIF, ANI/CUR, ASF, AU/SND, AVI, BMP/DIB, CAM (Casio JPG), CLP, Dicom/ACR, DJVU, EMF/WMF, EPS, FlashPix (FPX), FSH, G3, GIF, ICO/ICL/EXE/DLL, IFF/LBM, IMG (GEM), JPG2000, JPG/JPEG, KDC, LDF, LWF, MED, MID/RMI, MOV, MP3, MPG/MPEG, NLM/NOL/NGG, PBM/PGM/PPM, PCX/DCX, PhotoCD, PNG, PSD, PSP, RAS/SUN, RealAudio (RA), RLE, SFF, SFW, SGI/RGB, SWF (Flash/Shockwave), TGA, TIF/TIFF, WAV, WBMP, XBM, XPM. Support for Apple QuickTime: allows IrfanView to read following formats: MOV, QTIF, Mac PICT, FLI/FLC. Microsoft Media Player PlugIn: allows IrfanView to read following formats: ASF, AU/SND/AIF, AVI, DAT (VideoCD), MID/RMI, MOV, MP3, MPG/MPEG, WAV, WMA, WMF, etc.

Some features of IrfanView: Multi language support, Thumbnail option, preview option, slideshow, drag & drop support, fast directory view (fast moving through directory), batch conversion, email option, audio CD player, print option, change color depth, scan support, cut/crop, effects (sharpen, blur, Photoshop filter factory), capturing, extract icons from EXE/DLLs, lossless JPG rotation, many hotkeys, many command line options ... IrfanView was the first Windows graphic viewer (worldwide) with Animated-GIF support ! FREEWARE for non commercial use !

others are available as well
    http://www.webattack.com/freeware/freeware.shtml

4. blacklabs

blacklabs Thread Starter

It will open the program (Paint, Paintshop pro,microsoft imager, etc)

It says not a valid bmp or art image. I also tried saving different pic's off of different sites just to see if it will work.

Although now that i think of it usually the file i'm trying to save is a jpeg. But when you right click it doesn't give you that option. Could that be part of it?

Thanks

5. blacklabs

blacklabs Thread Starter

Oh, sorry.

If i just click on the image icon it will default to that Microsoft crapy imaging preview which it will show a blank screen. I'll then separately open Paintshop pro or MS paint and then it will say not valid.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

ok....when I see an image online I want to save I right click on it & click "save picture as" ... then I can rename it & sometimes I can change it to a .gif or jpg.... look at the bottom addressbar under the name at format & see if it can be changed by a scroll arrow.

or go to the paint program & open it then in file select the image you want to open.

OR..........when you see the picture in your files & you right click & go to properties what format is it?

it sounds like you need an image viewer to me

7. blacklabs

blacklabs Thread Starter

Only on XP is this happening.

When i had windows 98 it would work just fine. Would also give me more options for saving. Now it sucks!

Anybody else have any ideas??

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice