1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving Pictures On Vista Home Premium

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by thebiggerbopper, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thebiggerbopper

thebiggerbopper Thread Starter

Hi folks, I'm a newbie here. We just got a new HP Compaq with Vista Home Edition Premium. We're having trouble trying to save pictures to a file. We right click on a picture and then click on "save picture as" where it says save file as I only have two choices, it says "Art" or "bitmap" I can't save it as a jpg, gif or whatever. When I try saving it as Art or bitmap to one of my folders it shows up as some other picture that I have no idea where it came from. What the heck is going on here? Can anyone help??

Thank You
    Dave

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Could you give us a little more detail. Are you moving these pictures from a Camera or are they on a CD and you are moving them to your PC.

What software are you using to try and save them as a JPG. You can open them in paint and do a SAVE AS jpg.

3. thebiggerbopper

It's any pictures, gifs or jpeg that I try to save from the internet. With XP it was easy. Just right click and save as then pick a folder, name your file then choose how you wanna save it. With this new Vista when I right click on a pic, jpeg or gif to save it I can only save it as "art" or "bitmap" I've tried saving it to a folder I made but when I go to open it, it's not the picture I saved or it says "can not open file, not the right format" What happened to saving a file as a gif or jpeg???

Sorry but I'll be gone for awhile. I work overnight and have to sleep till later this evening. I'll check back before I leave for work.

4. bigk

bigk

Ok, so you go to billy joes awsome picture web site and you find a picture you like. You then right click on the picture and save as. Correct? But when you want to change the file format it wont like you? Correct?

Bigk :)

5. thebiggerbopper

Thats correct. If I try saving them as "art" or Bitmap" when I try to use them it's a different picture or it says "can't open file, not the right format" I can't even save any pictures that I had posted on message boards.

6. bigk

bigk

Have you tried downloading the picture then using a program to convert it to the file type you want? Because I think when you download a picture, it only comes in one picture format unless you change it your self.

7. thebiggerbopper

Maybe it's a dumb question, but how do you download a picture that you wanna save from the internet??
    I use message boards and save pic's, jpeg's and gifs to use in my posts, I can't save any now. I am also a admin. of a very active forum and we run a photo of the month contest. I can't save anyones pic. so I can move it to a poll for people to vote on. With XP it was so simple. Now with this Vista I can't seem to do anything with pic's, gifs or jpeg's.

If I try to save a pic. here's a screen shot of what I get, if that helps.

[​IMG]

Sorry, but I have to leave for work, be back in the morning, thanks.

8. Fidelista

Fidelista

Don't use Vista but I save bmp's gifs --jpg's all the time on XP ---what the hell is ART ??? :confused:
    >f

9. Ol Sarge

Ol Sarge Guest

.art is a compressed file used exclusively by AOL. Vista has no clue what to do with them and neither does XP. Well, not entirely true, as XP with sp1 would at least open one,(open with IE) but not display it as a thumbnail. Sp2, without further updates will at least open them also. Windows Millennium has no such trouble and happily shows you everything, including a thumbnail. If you lose AOL, the problem (among many) will go away. :)

10. bigk

bigk

Sounds liike Ol Sarge is on to some thing.....

11. tjamnz

tjamnz

hmm. You said... "it's not the picture I saved or it says "can not open file, not the right format" What happened ..."

Did you try right clicking the file after is was in the directory you created, and change the extention (rename) to .jpg etc...

this process should be automated as before in xp, and is native to all windows os's.

there has to be some setting causing this issue. Im currently taking a course on windows vista (video it training "ultimate ed"). If i run across anything... i'll let you know.

(edit post updated)

I found this microsoft link:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/search.aspx?=&qu=saving+pictures

Save a picture from a webpage
    Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Internet Explorer.

2. Browse to a webpage with a picture you want to save.

3. Right-click the picture.

4. Click Save Picture As.

5. In the Save Picture dialog box, browse to the folder where you want to save the file, and then click Save.

Should still be the same function

12. thebiggerbopper

Thanks tjamnz, and everyone else too. I tried saving a pic. using IE and everything worked like it should.

Ol Sarge, I don't really care for AOL either but my wife loves it, so ya know where that leaves me. LOL

My wife also got some other info from somewhere else and she gonna try it and see what happens.

Here's the pic. I saved using IE. It's from one of my members on the forum I run. Her name is delig8dor.

[​IMG]

Thanks again everyone for all your help, I'm sure I'll be back again with more questions about Vista.

Dave, The Bigger Bopper

13. Fidelista

Fidelista

Thanks for answer! Ol Sarge . Never even heard of .art before .:eek:
    (y) :) >f

14. tjamnz

tjamnz

Sure, no problem,

I learn somethin useful here every day!

btw cool cat

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    (y)

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice