1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving the archive bit through Robocopy?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RossDey, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RossDey

RossDey Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,
    New to the forum here and would like to throw this scenario out to all the Tech Support Guy users out there.

A little background:
    I use backup exec 10d to run our backups: full backups on weekends, and diffs during the weekdays. Attached to my fileserver (Win 2000) are 2 arrays; a production and backup array (which we robocopy to everyday and evening).

Last week we ran into some NTFS corruption so we took the production array offline made the backup array the production array and robocopied the data to the new production array. After the robocopy we ran a chkdisk on the NTFS corrupted array.

When the Diffs ran that night, the archive bit must have been reset because the job ran as if it were a full backup job.

Here's the problem:
    It's happened again and we need to cut over to our backup array. I haven't figured out a way to "save" the archive bit through robocopy (still figuring out all the switches).

Question:
    Would the /B switch in robocopy do the job? Here's what I'm currently using:

del /q /f f:\rcd.txt
    robocopy d:\ x:\ /V /FP /XF db.* /TEE /LOG+:f:\rcd.txt /E /PURGE /COPYALL /Z /ETA /R:2 /W:1

In the event I need to cut over to my backup array and run my nightly diff, I don't want to run into a scenario where a full is running during the week. Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    RossDey

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

When you do a copy in almost all cases the archive bit is reset.

You have a few options maybe use something like -
    http://www.theutilityfactory.com/summaries/copy-files.htm

Where it looks as though it retians all attributes when it copies (I have not tried this it is just an example).

Another thought is possibly find a way to script out a way for it to search all files that have the archive bit set to ON (the files you want in your incremental) also known by attrib +A and make sure to set it after the copy with the attrib command?

What your looking for isn't right there within the robocopy functionality though sorry. You could skip the entire backup and set all the attribs in the file off with /A-: A but this would then totally defeat the incremental and make it so nothing is backed up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!