1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving to a CD-R/RW and Not A

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SingforHim, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SingforHim

SingforHim Thread Starter

I don't know if I am under the correct heading, but I have a question. Why is it that if I put a floppy in my A: drive, I can click on save (for example a Word doc) and it saves, BUT I can't do that to my CD-R/RW drive? I have to go through this LONG processes and it becomes annoying. Isn't there any other way?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If you had packet writing software, such as INCD, or EZCD, you could just format a CD then write to it just like a floppy.

Although you can do this, it's not preferred because the file allocation table isn't written to the CDR useing packet writing until the disk is finallized, which means a power outtage or other interruption could cause the whole cd to become unreadable. Therefore, it's best to write the whole CD at one time than to just use it like a floppy drive.

3. SingforHim

SingforHim Thread Starter

Thank you for your input. My only thing is, I have a laptop. One, it doesn't have an A: drive. Two, I don't always want to save to the hard drive. It would be nice if I could click on save as, change to the CD-R drive and save it, instead of having to save it to the hard drive and burn the file to the cd, just so I can take that file elsewhere and upload it to my school file (as most of my classes that I am taking are online courses). Does that make sense?

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

As already said, what you need is a CDRW disk and format it with INCD or its equivalent. You can then do what you want to do providing the same/compatible Packet software is available at the other place. The CDRW then becomes a giant floppy. I do this a lot to carry software update download on one machine to several others.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!