saving to desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kev23a

In Firefox, when I try to save a page to desktop, it saves as two items, a file folder, and a html document.
How can I stop this happening ?

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
That happens because you're saving it as a web page, complete (see the drop down for "save as type".
If you choose Web page, HTML only it'll just give you the html document without the folder.

However, if you do so it would just be the text and very basic formatting, because the folder holds HTML and pictures and stuff.

The other possibility would be to use an add on that lets you save as an mht file (similar to Internet Explorer) or similar format.
Google suggested this for example: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/mozilla-archive-format/
(I have not tested that add on and cannot vouch for it)

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
Note that SaveLink will just make a link.

In particular, if you're saving the page because you're worried the page may be removed in the future, or you're saving it for a time when you don't have access to the internet, that is not what you want. However, if all you really want is the ability to "bookmark" something on the desktop instead of in your browser, that should be fine.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Note that SaveLink will just make a link.
I know, but I think most people simply need to save a link on desktop, not the whole page with all items in it. Always found the process of creating two files on desktop pretty annoying and useless, for me anyway.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
kev23a,
What is listed in the "Folder" icon?

It may contain supporting images and other files that are used within the page itself.

kev23a

I think so, Phantom. but I can try SaveLink as well. cheers.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
If you need all the content on the pages to be saved to your desktop, and not only a link to your websites (like a bookmark), you probably should go with Ent's add-on. Or, install both! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online