Saving web pictures with IE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carp

I save all downloaded files to a directory called, oddly enough, c:\Downloads. When I'm browsing the net and move my cursor over a picture and click to save it, the default folder is C:\My Documents\My Pictures. Its a nuisance having to click on the explorer tree to find my preferred folder to save in. Can I change this default folder? I can't find any registry key from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main to modify. My OS is Windows ME.

carp

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have Microsoft Tweak UI but was unaware of this tweak. Next time I'll rtfm :-}

I had the same question as Carp and found this posting by searching. I have the Tweak UI but I don't seem to find the place in IE to change this in Tweak.
Thanks

Go to My Computer / Special Folders. From here you can change the directory for My Document or other folders.

If you want you can also edit the registry to modify the default directory where IE will download files:

Start Regedit
Go to HKEY_USERS \ .DEFAULT \ Software \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer
Add a String value called Download Directory
For it's value, enter in the Directory where you want your downloaded files to go

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ie_tips.htm#download_directory

Bob Cerelli

I backuped the registry. Went to HKEY_USERS \ DEFAULT \ Software \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer
Then added string "Download Directory". Then added value to this string of "Desktop" to download to desktop. Still defaults to My Pictures. This is a task for my wife so she will be able to find things easier. I can also pick desktop on the dialog box.
Should the "value" be some other command?
Thanks much.

iI hate to waste your time a little thing like this. The value under Under the key listed in Current_User is the value I need to default to when I download programs(download folder). I don't want to change this.
I looked at TWEAK UI again didn't see "special folders". I looked under options under software/IE and didn't see any as well as under appearance. This program does have a lot of goodies.
Thanks again,
Lewis

Are you absolutely sure you can't change the location of the My Pictures folder.

In my TweakUI, under My Computer / Special Folders you can change the My Picture entry. Just tried it again and it works fine.

I have WinGuide Tweak Manager 2.1 that I downloaded from the MS site you listed. I guess I am blind or stupid or both but I cannot find any listing of My/Computer/Special Folders.
I did find under security a listing of special folders but none pertained directly to IE and all looked like good defaults for system (none had my Pics). I looked udder IE and did not find this.

Firsf off, the reason you can't find the My Computer / Special Folders section is you downloaded some other program called "WinGuide Tweak Manager 2.1". This is not what I mentioned.

Try downloading TweaUI from Microsoft. There is an XP specific version.

Bob

Thanks, Here is what happened-my fault.
I downloaded the TweakUI from the URL you listed for Carp and installed. I then ran a Tweak UI program on my computer, which was not the one I had just installed (the MS one installed in the control panel). I also am running Win2KPro but found this listing under 98/ME.
With this MS tweak program, I see one can change the default location of "my Pictures" but it warns against doing this.
Sorry for MY confusion-I am glad I copied you with the actual version of a tweak program I was using.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online