1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Saving Windows Updates...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jennymac, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jennymac

Jennymac Thread Starter

Hi all. I am new to this forum. Have a question. I am going to reformat my hard drive sometime in the near future (P4, XPPro, 1gig ddr ram). I sooooo don't want to have to go and get all the Windows and Norton Updates again. Please, can anyone tell me how I can save these things (like backing up), so when I reformat, I can just reinstall off a cd vs. the internet?

Thanks so much. I love this Website. I have been using TechTv's message forum, but I find this one to be just as, if not more, helpful.

Keep up the awesome work and thanks for your excellent level of service! (y) :D ;)

2. mobo

mobo

Have you the software and hard drive space to have a backup image that you could use to restore to ? This is what I did. U clean installed xp pro with all updates, software, programs and favorite settings. Then used partition magic and drive image to make a partition and create on it a backup image..The image is about 30 % of the original systems size and only takes a couple clicks then walk away and return in 20 minutes to a clean install system with all your programs, update and settings intact.

3. Dan O

Dan O

Chances are the original updates are not still intact on your hard drive. I would wait until XP SP2 is released, which is a condensed roll-up with new fixes so you will not have to download so many.

4. Jennymac

Jennymac Thread Starter

Dear Dan O:

Do you know when Service Pack 2 might be released? I haven't heard any talk of it, but then I don't hang out at XP forums or anything.

thanks!

5. mobo

mobo

Its in Beta as of last week so give it a months or so.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice