1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Says connected but no internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Beuferd, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beuferd

Beuferd Thread Starter

Nov 27, 2009
    Hello everyone. I have read multiple forums on this subject, and none seem to be solving my problem, so I have decided to write a new forum with the hopes that someone out there can solve this ongoing issue I have been having. I get the message that I am connected to the internet, but the webpage never seems to come up for any site. I pinged my ipaddress and received all four packets back. I have disable the broadband and local area connections, and that hasn't done the trick. I reset my TCP/IP and Winsock but no luck. I am operating under Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Oct 19, 2002
    Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output! Do NOT type <computer_IP_address> into the command, that won't work. Also, the < and > in the text is to identify the parameters, they are also NOT used in the actual commands.

Do NOT include the <> either, they're just to identify the values for substitution.

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. (For Vista/Win7, the IPv4 Address)

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880887