SB Audigy driver corruption? (Massive reverb randomly occuring)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Networknewb

For a couple of years now I have noticed that occasionally and seemingly randomly, that my SB Audigy drivers will become corrupt. I cannot pinpoint any particular event/software that does it.

When installing my SB Audigy drivers, I only use the *windows drivers only* option. I never install the optional media center or effects toolbars.

The problem: All of a sudden I begin getting massive sound reverb in all of my applications that use sound. Games, video, etc. It goes from normal play to sounding like your in a cavern. I know you can *turn* on these type of effects through the optional and very annoying toolbar/media centerthingy... but I dont have them installed.

The fix: since I dont have any of the effects tools installed, the only way to fix the problem is to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Reparing them does not fix the problem.

Anyone else experience this strange problem? If so, how can I keep it from occuring?

RT

Not sure how helpful this will be, but I experienced a similar problem with my previous Creative card, a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1. I regularly had to reinstall the drivers to eliminate an over-enthusiastic reverb effect ... or no sound at all... seemed connected to the EAX console, but never could nail it down to that for sure. Seemed really random.

Eventually Creative stopped supporting that card and was stuck with reinstalling the same drivers over and over (not the Windows driver, but the last available from Creative)...which DID work....until they got corrupted again, etc, etc, ad infintitum, .:rolleyes:

Now, I have the same card as you I guess just a plain SB Audigy, not an Audigy 2 or it's various incarnations. No real problems so far.

I don'nt really want all the goofy software that comes with it either, but I gave it the full install and then removed or disabled any crap that wanted to take over. I also went to Creative's website and did the auto detect thing, which gives you a choice, and just updated the drivers. So far I'm pleased, the only thing extra I have is an icon in the systray, which has actaually proved useful from time to time (a volume control with links to speaker settings, surround mixer, etc).

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
And you're sure you don't have the mic enabled and are just getting feedback through the speakers?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online