1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SB Live! drivers won't stick on reboot?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jgarrity, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgarrity

jgarrity Thread Starter

WinME 4.90.3000
    AMD Athlon XP2500
    ASUS A7-V600 mb
    Onboard sound disabled
    DirectX 9.0C
    IE 6.0 SP1

I can't get my Soundblaster Live! 24 bit drivers to stick. When I run the installation disk, I have sound when the installation is complete, but upon re-booting no sound available.
    Devices are listed in the device manager, "this device is working properly",
    however I can't select it as a playback/record device in the multimedia tab, everything is greyed out-it's listed as a device with no problems, but I can't select it.

If I run the "update driver" from the control panel->system->device manager->sound/video/game controllers->SB Live! 24 bit->properties->update driver, it says "found updated driver" and proceeds to re-load the drivers from the cd

Drive was clean installed approx 2 weeks ago.
    No updates showing required.
    Ran AVGFree with latest defs as well as Spybot,Spywareguared,Spywareblaster.
    No other sound drivers on drive at all.
    Tried removing/re-installing driver,
    Tried Installing with Spyblaster & other AV turned off,
    Tried installing in safe mode,
    Ran DH Drive cleaner to remove misc files not un-installed,
    Tried changing PCI slot (tried all avail slots),
    Bios is set for non-pnp OS, update ESCD,
    Irq 5 (sb emulation irq) reserved for ISA,
    Have VIA Hyperion Pro 5.07,
    and getting nowhere.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!