1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SB PCI128 on Win98SE - detected, then not detected - what the ...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaulVBrown, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaulVBrown

PaulVBrown Thread Starter

Hello!

I've been working on this off and on for a week or 2 - searching the net hi and lo, including this site, and can't come up w/anything, so I'm resorting to posting here...

I've just built this PC (configuration should be in sig), and installed Win98SE on it.

I have a SoundBlaster PCI 128 CT 4700 (w/ES1370 chip) that I bought off a friend. He didn't have the original CD w/drivers.

I've downloaded SEVERAL different "updated" drivers from various sources (including Creative), but nothing seems to work.

Here's what happens:

Start PC
    Windows sees new hardware and starts installing drivers. About the same time another window pops up:

Windows
    Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 Hardware not detected. The driver will be disabled.
    OK

Press OK, this reveals the window in the bg:

System Settings Change
    To finish setting up your new hardware, you must restart your computer. Do you want to restart your computer now?
    YES NO

Click Yes...

1)cmos/whatever screens flash, then
    2)Windows98 lite blue startup screen
    3)then dos screen for a few seconds - I have installed LetAssign that lets my "Data drive" be called D, and the "Games drive" be called G, etc...
    4)then big blue screen with "dos-like" text:
    Windows
    Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 Hardware not detected. The driver will be disabled. Press any key to continue

Press "any" key....

Windows continues to start up just fine.

DeviceMgr shows "Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI128" with yellow exclamation point -- status says "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 24) Try upgrading the device drivers for this device."

The card is currently in PCI slot 6, but it has been in slot 2 and 5 before this with the same results.

Another friend borrowed the card and put it in his Win2000 machine and it worked just fine (he only had 1 or 2 PCI slots available) -- I have my graphics card in the AGP slot, and NOTHING else. (well, front and back USB ports).

One thing that I have tried is to look at the driver info and copy down all the files it listed. I then went to the Windows directories and renamed all those files so that it would not be able to find any of them. (I was afraid I had some files for drivers version X and some others for version Y....) Anyway, after that I was convinced I had a "clean" install, and noticed something: the mmdevldr.vxd file was NOT installed when installing new drivers, and in fact Windows complains about not being able to complete the installation b/c that file was missing. However it also did not COMPLAIN on startup about not finding the hardware, even though it was present as a device in the device manager. As soon as I renamed the mmdevldr.vxd file back to its original name, I got back to point A, can't find the hardware, device will be disabled.

ANY ideas? Any other info I can provide? Should I just try slots 3 and 4 as well? I don't think it's an IRQ conflict at this point, but I just don't know.

Thanks in advance.

-paul

2. zeddy

zeddy

Before install

In the Bios reserve IRQ 5 for ISA/Legacy devices

3. PaulVBrown

...and another thing...

I have installed the latest drivers for the GeForce card and the motherboard, but have *not* upgraded the BIOS.

-paul

4. PaulVBrown

Actually, Zeddy, BIOS is currently set up so that:
    Resources Controlled By: AUTO, but if I change that to manual, the IRQ Resources screen already shows IRQ 5 as reserved.

At current, the graphics card gets put on 11, and the SoundBlaster is on 10.

-paul

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Hello Paul,

Here is a little info you might find interesting:

An Excellent card but it’s a nightmare to install the correct drivers and setup your PC. Follow the instruction set out below to setup your card.
    Those of you who own or have just bought a Creative Labs SB PCI 128 may be in for a bit of a surprise (Is it really a SB PCI 128?). Examine the card and make a note of the model number on it (should be on the side of it).

For more information refer to the following URL:

http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/...69,E=0000000000000769601,K=476,Sxi=8,Case=obj(9730)

Here’s a summary of how Creative have grouped their card model numbers:

Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (CT4810, CT4811, CT4812, CT4815 and CT4816) SB Vibra 128 (CT4810, CT4811, CT4812, CT4815 & CT4816) SB PCI 64V with the 1373 chipset SB PCI 64 with the 1370 or 1371 chipset SB PCI 128 (CT4700) with the 1370 or 1371 chipset SB PCI 128 (CT4750/CT4751)

Strange!...... Anyway, once you have identified the name/model of your card you can easily download the appropriate driver for your OS and install them (if they are available). I have also noticed that most people have been complaining about the sound quality problems with this card (fuzzy, distorted, jumpy). Well there is a very simple solution to solve this problem/issue. My PC is built on an ASUS A7V266 with Win XP Pro as the OS and it seems like this MB (and for all other ASUS MB’s) is a bit too fast for the sound card (in fact you’ll have similar problems with any Creative Sound card, so please be a bit patient and don’t go rushing out to by a more expensive sound card).

The fix to this problem is within the BIOS. Depending on your motherboard, you should have a setting called “PCI Latency Timer” and this would generally be found in the ADVANCE section of your BIOS. By default ASUS set theirs to 32 and Creative recommends you set it to 0. I tried this setting but unfortunately the sound card stopped giving out any sound – a bit pointless and I therefore set my timer value to 128 (recommended by someone in sound card forum). GUESS WHAT? Crystal clear sound and all my problems solved………

I also found out that SB PC128 has a limitation when it comes to sharing IRQ’s. (If you have a MB with 5 PCI slots, I would strongly recommend you install it on either PCI 2, 3 or 4 (1& 5 a generally shared)

As you can see from this the correct drivers are the CT4750/CT4751 drivers. Also note info about sharing IRQ's. You might want to try PCI slots 3 or 4.

Hope this helps.

Kilowatt

6. zeddy

zeddy

In BIOS Reserve IRQ 5 for ISA/Legacy devices.

7. PaulVBrown

Well, setting the PCI latency seemed to have 0 effect.

The 4750 drivers again just complained during installation that "CT4750/4751 not found - please be sure it is installed first".

I've tried booting the machine w/Resource Management set to Manual and IRQ5 set to RESERVED (the only options there are PCI Device or Reserved), but that doesn't keep Windows from seeing a PCI device in slot whatever and putting it on IRQ 10.

Other advice? I was really hoping this would be an interesting enough problem it'd get more interest, but apparently not.

Is this a case where I just need to give up and admit that SoundBlaster PCI128 just doesn't agree w/the rest of my hardware for some mysterious reason?

I've already booked more hours trying to solve this problem than the card is worth. =o(

Well, I'll see if I get back any more responses on this before I throw in the towel...

-paul

8. ChuckG

ChuckG

There's one other thing you can try Paul that may help you out. Your board has a VIA chipset, and sometimes Creative and VIA just don't get along together. So, what I would do is go here and download and install the latest drivers for your chipset.

If that doesn't work, ditch that Sound Blaster card and get a Turtle Beach card and be done with it.

9. PaulVBrown

Thanks, ChuckG, but I've already been down that road.

Have the latest drivers already. Guess I'll visit the store tomorrow! =o(

-paul

10. ChuckG

ChuckG

Paul- I reread your posts and see that you did indeed install the lastest drivers for your motherboard. I missed that.

One other thing you may want to try is to go here and post your question. This is an active board and many true sound people hang out here.

11. PaulVBrown

Update on this problem -- seems my "buddy" that sold me the PCI128 card failed to mention that it was actually a PCI64 card?????

The only way means I had of id'ing the card was the chip (es1370), and what my friend had told me. As that same chip appears on both the PCI128 and the PCI64, I shoulda seen a warning lite right there, but alas, I trusted that my friend knew what sort of card he was selling me.

Funny thing was, I swear that Windows kept suggesting it was a PCI128 card as well (up to the point it said it couldn't find any such hardware).

ANYWAY, for future reference -- try the PCI64 drivers if you ever run into this similar problem.

Thanks!

-paul

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/134107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice