1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SB16 Gameport and Windows 95

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ryanhe, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryanhe

ryanhe Thread Starter

Playing around with an old Socket 7 system. Installed Win95 C, no expansion cards other than a Voodoo3 and Sound Blaster 16 PNP. The card was recognized and installed seemingly fine but looking in the device manager the Gameport Joystick had an error, claimed the driver wasn't installed or installed incorrectly.

Figured there might be an issue with the card so I popped in an older non PNP SB16 and got the same error. Audio on both cards works just fine, just the game port that's acting up. Put in a WinXP hard drive and there was no error so that ~might~ rule out messing with IRQs in the BIOS but I'm not sure.

I can't remember ever having this issue before. If anyone can think wayyyy back to the '95 days and has a solution I'd love to hear it.

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

We used to call it Plug-and-Pray in the days of Windows 95. Are you sure there isn't another game port conflicting with the SB's?

3. ryanhe

ryanhe Thread Starter

I forgot about plug and pray :D Well, there definitely isn't another physical game port and nothing else shows up in the device manager. I should also clarify that I swapped cards, never had both SB's installed at the same time. Windows 95 should have the correct drivers for the SB16 included correct? I could have sworn it did.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

The drivers for the PNP board are/were not the same for the non-PNP board and neither were included in Win95's stock drivers; but, (dang, you're making me reach way back) I do believe we had several PCs where the system board's preset resources caused us real problems with the SB16's. Are they both PCI versions?

5. ryanhe

ryanhe Thread Starter

They are in fact, both ISA versions. Non-PNP is from c.1992 and PNP is from c.1995. Amazingly Creative still has drivers for download. They list both a driver AND a PnP configuration manager. Might be interesting to try out. I'm also going to dig into the BIOS when I get home. There is a solution to this I just have to remember it :LOL:

6. ryanhe

ryanhe Thread Starter

Well, I installed the drivers and still no dice. Played around in the BIOS and that didn't do anything either. I eventually decided to ditch Windows 95 because it was well... acting like Windows 95. Installed 98SE and now either card works correctly. Forgot just how much smoother and more refined 98 is compared to 95.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice