sb16pci in ms dos (circa '92)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kronus

Alright, I'm having trouble getting a program to play through my pci sound blaster. For those of you old schoolers out there, it's Star Control 2, Accolade Games. I can hear the awesome sounds out of my tinny tiny system speaker, but only barely. I'm currently running win 98 on an amd 700mHz chip with way too much ram for my own good (or for a prog from 92 :p). Here is the contents of my auto exec.

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV
c:\progra~1\creative\audio\dosdrv\sbinit
c:\progra~1\creative\audio\dosdrv\mt32 /on
@PROMPT ACCOLADE BOOT DISK $P$G
@set TZ=PST8PDT
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM

PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\DOS
rem SET MSINPUT=C:\MSINPUT
SET TEMP=C:\DOS

SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
c:
cd starcon2
starcon2 /s:adlib

Pretty messy, but that's me.
This particular autoexec is on a bootdisk, as the software is afraid of windows.
There may be some order of operation issues here, or, I think the program can't access the pci bus. It makes me look so old! the last line is the command line for the game, with a switch to manually select a sound adapter. The game is guite intelligent as it will detect a card on it's own.

What else can I tell you? The card in question is picked up by the bios on irq 5, but in dos I don't need any other irq no mouse support, no usb, things like that. My video resides on irq 11 on the agp slot. There are no conflicts as the game runs great, I just cant get it to use the card.

Anyone out there remember dos?
kronus

I'll throw this by you and see if this helps you out.....

Try this link from soundblaster....
Soundblaster

I hope this helps!
Goodluck...
rockin'male:cool:

That particular game was notorious for numerous quirks. I remember having all kinds of problems getting it to run on different setups. First off, do you get sounds from other games or sound players with that setup?

kronus

I'm going to try again, the soundblaster link has some useful info. As for other games, I've never tried on this box. I recently had a massive hard drive failure so I'm forced to rely on old libraries and tiny hard drives. I have solved the problem. It turns out there is a group putting together a freeware version of Star Control 2 called Ur Quan Masters. It's currently in alpha, but it runs great and in windows! If anyone is interested... http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
It's pretty big. And gnu!

Wow, thanks. I've been waiting for someone to make that game run on a newer OS. It is, without doubt, one of the top 10 games ever made.

kronus

A lot of people agree. This one's in v 0.3 but I have yet to find a single bug, in about ten hours of game time. AND they added v/o to all the aliens you meet. I'm going to call this solved. I bet the original program doesn't know what to do with this modern technology mumbo jumbo.

Yes, it's very addicting, I installed it just to see how it was, and ended up playing for the next 3 hours.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts