1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SBS 2008 Partition Size

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Jeff11214, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff11214

Jeff11214 Thread Starter

I just installed SBS 2008 Standard on a test box. After the successful install I see that Active Directory and Exchange are installed by default. I know the minimum size partition is 60gb, but now knowing that Exchange will also be on same partition as the OS, how big should I make it when I'm ready for live environment?

On a side note, would the following setup be ok?
    To use two 2TB drives in a RAID 1 setup.
    SBS 2008/AD/Exchange will be on C partition.
    DVD ROM is the D drive.
    Data will be on an E partition (same physical disk as the OS).
    Scheduled data backup will be placed on an external HDD

I'm sure it's not the best practice to use just 1 hard drive for everything, but I am mirroring the drive.
    Will this setup be ok?

Thanks

2. geek117

geek117

I would give it at least 200gb for the C: partition. Also you're going to want to configure WSUS (if you use it) to use a separate partition for data storage. Also, I would routinely use CCleaner to clean up Windows Temp Files, as well as IIS Log files and any other garbage. DO NOT use the registry cleaner, as this will most likely cause problems.

Temp file cleaner = good. Registry cleaner = bad.

Other than that, the setup should be ok. I would make a habit of having at least 3 partitions. (1) for the system, (1) for programs/installations/WSUS, and (1) for user data and any random software/installer files you want to keep/share on the network. This should ensure you don't have user data filling up your system partition, and vice versa. Also make sure you enforce storage quotas on your users, as well as on their exchange mailboxes.

3. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    If using Exchange, you can configure the Exchange logs and databases to be on different partitions than the C: drive. Which I would recommend. Use the EMC console to change the location of the transactions logs and database files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice