1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SBS2003 overburdened?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by PK-her0, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys,

I have an SBS2003 server / its a Dell poweredge with 4GB RAM and RAID 500GB mirrored configuration.

My users have been complaining of occasional sluggish behaviour over the network. (well it seems to be getting worse)

what im running:

its a PDC (Active directory obviously)
    exchange 2003
    a couple of small SQL databases (SAGE accounting line 200)
    A vehicle tracking system (Also SQL)
    An inhouse management system of clients/accounts etc...think its access
    acts as a file server too.
    it has symantec corporate edition anti virus
    and also has backup exec 12 for SBS server

i have about 12 users and its been running fine for the past year, but end of last year and now its getting slow to open
    emaIls / docs / public folders.

I have rebooted the server and switched the main switch (linksys 40 port switch) on and off.

A consistency check has never been run on the mirrored drives...because in the dell software where the manual says it should be...it simply isnt. (although the server GUI seems pretty responsive)

what should the page file be for such a setup as i have seen it pretty high...should that be set manually or system managed?
    also could running processes cause this problem. Could oversized mailboxes cause this? as some mailboxes are 4 to 5 GB on the exchange server.

Im thinking about getting another switch and plugging in there to see if its a network connectivity problem.

please any tips / tools / help really appreciated...it seems like a really broad problem...that i dont know where to start.
    or is there anysoftware to test if a server is exhausted?

muchly appreciated
    PK

2. Rockn

Rockn

Any number of things could cause it to become sluggish. Look at Exchange first to see what your databases look like as far as size. If the SQL databases get hit hard you should also look at transaction logs and make sure they are getting cleaned up and truncating the databases afterward. SQL databases can get huge, especially the log file databases if they are not trucated regularly. That is a place to start.

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

thanks rockn...will do some research

4. srhoades

srhoades

Have you tried a defrag?

5. Jeff11214

Jeff11214

Is it possible the sluggish issues started after a Windows update? I have seen this in SBS2003.

A huge problem with sluggish issues is caused by Java. Try uninstalling all instances of Java from your Add/Remove programs.

6. AQ78

AQ78

Also check read / writes in AV, you only really need one or the other

7. geek117

geek117

Does this happen during certain times of the day? Rather, is there a specific time of the day that this sluggish behavior occurs? This can help pinpoint the problem. For example, I had a server that was slowing down network users' SQL access at 2:30pm every day, because Symantec was scheduled to update.

8. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

well a guy was in from a company that looks after our accounting package...Sage.
    he said theres too many versions of sql running too many databases and this could be dangerous.

what you think?

9. geek117

geek117

I think you should look into running your Exchange server and your Accounting/Vehicle Tracking SQL on different servers. Your current server only has 4GB of RAM, and you're pushing the limits. Makes sense that its running slow. SQL likes to use as much RAM as it possibly can, unless told otherwise.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice