Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scam targeting Visa users

776 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Stephank 
#1 ·
Today I got a automated phone call saying my Visa might have been used by an unauthorized user. Then it said 2 charges have been made. First a $400 Ebay purchase. And another ( I forgot the amount) doing some money transfer. And said that they were flagged as suspicious because I have never used the money transfer service before. And I was given a choice of pressing 1 accept the charges or 2 refuse the charges. Instinctively I pressed 2. But the menu repeated itself as if I didn't make a choice. Then I was transferred to a live agent. Then I remembered I don't even have a Visa card and said so to the agent. She hung up.

#2 ·
My wife and I set up our iPhones. When we get a call from somebody who is not in our Contact list, our phones don't ring. A legit caller can leave a message. All the spam callers won't!! If we think the message left is from our banks or credit card companies, we call them directly, never the phone number our iphones show.
We ran into the same scam few months ago. A caller claimed something very similiar. The bank rep said 'not true'. Another time we were so worried that we cancelled our card and had them reissue a new one,which was free.
Screening the calls, never clicking any link in e-mails and reaching financial institutions directly are very easy to do. Yet, most people are still very trustworthy of others. Unfortunately, Mayberry days are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.