Scammers Blackmailing me Through Spam Mail

irishhazel

I got a spam mail almost 2 months ago from an unknown user with an unusual title, claiming they know my password. (i checked, im not sure if i had used that password for any other sites, the last i changed my pass for gmail was 2018).
They informed me they had seen me visit an adult website and has recorded the same, blackmailing me for money in exchange for not sending it to all my contacts.
I installed an antivirus then, deleted all my saved info in google and changed all my passwords, and moved on. i did not reply to them.
one and a half months have gone by, but i noticed, they resent the same mail with a different email id, after a month of the first email. That too went to my spam.
should i ignore this and go by my day, seeing as they havent done anything to me till now other than send two mails?
would they be able to access my contacts so easy?

PS - to make it clear they dont have the right password.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have no idea where you are situated
eg what country
as an example
Scam emails demand Bitcoin, threaten blackmail | FTC Consumer Information
OR
If you are in the UK
an example from here
sextortion-scams-infographic.pdf (ncsc.gov.uk)
as you will see from the above this not an uncommon scam and you should as the links show report the emails.

As it appears, that you did not have an antivirus installed before all this occurred, the best advice I can give you is to make a completely clean install of the Operating system.

Edit
I see my colleague Cookiegal has now posted and it MAYBE that you could benefit from having you system checked by our Malware experts for any unwanted software that you may indeed have acquired during your visits to these adult sites. Such acquisition of unwanted spyware/malware is not unusual on such sites.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online