1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scan disk and defragment

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sfortune, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sfortune

sfortune Thread Starter

These two programs won't run. I've tried scheduled runs and manual runs. They both show that it is working, but it stays at 0% complete. When responding I'd appreciate a clear response......compter illiterate.

2. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

Try running them in safe mode.

If you try it in "Normal" mode (if there is such a thing ) the programs that are loaded in startup or elsewhere will not let it run correctly.

3. BTS '76

BTS '76

to enter safe mode, tap the F8 button repeatedly, when your system is starting up. When you get to the boot menu, choose safe mode.

If your trying to run the defrag in normal mode, you probably have to disable your anti-virus software, and your screen saver, because these sometimes conflict with defragging.

4. skyman

skyman

If this does not work, come back to the thread and more help will follow...

5. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    You haven't mentioned what operating system you have. If pressing <f8> repeatedly doesn't work try booting again and hold down the <Ctrl> key as it boots. (This works for Windows ME).
    When you get into safe mode run Scandisk first and then defrag. Both will take quite a while, particularly Scandisk, (my system takes three hours for Scandisk and 3/4 hour for Defrag), but in safe mode it will get through without continually restarting.

6. brindle

brindle

bilnrobn
    My 40 gig 7200, 3.61gig used, only takes minutes in normal mode to defrag and a standard scan takes no longer.
    How often do you defrag, once a year?

sfortune
    Have you shutdown your screensaver,anti-virus,firewall and all programs running in the background except explorer and systray?
    When was the last time you ran defrag? Have you tried scandisk in dos mode?
    Did you try it in safe mode as suggested?
    Did you do a disk clean up before hand?

7. skyman

skyman

Go to "start", "run" and type in msconfig, if you have Win 98. Click on the startup tab
    and what you see checked are all the items that startup when you start your computer. A lot of them you do not need.

Copy down all the items checked and then uncheck them all. Restart your computer and then try to run scandisk and defrag.

Go to this site and look up all the items that you had checked and see which ones you need and which ones you don't need. Go back to msconfig and check the ones you need.

I hope this helps you...

8. skyman

skyman

9. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    Brindle, I defrag at the end of every month, and that is how long it takes. I have always thought it a slow process, but I thought that is normal! Why does mine take so long? My disk is only 1/3 full, (5 gig used, 13 free).
    If you, (or anyone else), can help me speed the process I will be grateful.

(I'm not trying to hijack you thread sfortune. Hopefully we will both get answers. Have you done all the stuff recommended above yet? How did it go?)

10. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    Brindle, just noticed you said 'standard' scan? I am referring to a 'thorough' scan. Standard only takes a few minutes for me too, but it only checks files not the disk surface. I have a query about this and Defrag, but will start a new thread.

11. huntr

huntr

I was able to defrag all the time using Norton in Windows98.
    Often when there was a lot of starts and stops I would go to safe mode and run Microsoft Defrag OK in safe mode as Norton cant run in safe mode.

I was also able to do scandisk either with Norton in Windows 98
    or with Scandisk in SAFE MODE.

This worked fine with the 6 year old DELL, even after a 60 gig hard drive was added a year ago.

Today I scanned drive E (~ 2 gig) and drive D (~19 gig) and also defragged both using Norton.

Then I tried drive C (~29 gig) and it kept going from the boot line to the allocation (?) line back and forth back and forth on the Scandisk check list. The "10 times" restarted message kept coming. So decided to do some task manager trimming and also
    msconfig trimming of start up. Went to safe mode, same start and stop under SCANDISK. Same results for Defrag both ways.
    Cannot get it to complete. Something is writing something to disk and I do not know what it is.

Can anyone help me here?
    [email protected]

12. korgul

korgul

Have you disabled the screensaver?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice