1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scan Disk cant read 2 end clusters????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brandieast, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brandieast

brandieast Thread Starter

I work for a small nursing home and normally pride myself on being able to fix the computers....but I am stumped!!!

Have a hard drive that was taken from one computer and installed in another....It's a Maxtor 7850AV...1654 cyl 16 heads and 63 sectors...Yes I know it's small bur so is the usage on it..

Anyway, I tried to install WIN98 and when I did it ran the scan disk and came back to say that the hard drive may be configured incorrectly.... (something about couldn't read last two clusters)
    Any ideas on how I might correctly configure it? I thought it would be simple and hate to take it to a shop
    I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me!
    THANKS!!!!! :confused:

2. brianF

brianF

guess my only though is if your doing a clean install and not an upgrade did you repartition and format the drive
    Could be some leftover junk from whatever

The cylinders, heads, etc are correct, not sure what else it could be

3. brandieast

brandieast Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply...I reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled dos and am running scandisk now it is still showing the last 2 clusters missing....hopefully after reformatting, scandisk will be able to repair????????
    Have a good night and thanks again for your attention! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice