1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scan disk/defrag

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ronley60, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronley60

ronley60 Thread Starter

i use windows 98 SE.i can not run Scan Disk or defrag.have had the computer(2nd hand)since March'01and not been able to do these.i close all programmes down,as necessary,but always get the message 'you have not enough memory to continue'
    i have just up-graded to 384Mb memory so am puzzled.
    i need to run these as i have 'errors',and'corrupted files' on Drive C.(found when running full test on computer)
    i have a 900Mhz AMD Duron processor.
    how do i get them to run?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Ronley when you say you close all programs ... do you mean you shut them down so they are not appearing in Alt_Ctrl_Del.

There should not be anything showing there except Explorer & systray. Also if you have a screensaver you have to disable it...

Hope that will help you ... also you probably have far too many items in startup eating up your resources( different from RAM memory)

Savvy :)

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

ronley60
    Welcome to TSG!
    Savvy is correct in saying you may have to many programs running in background to complete a successful Scandisc or defrag. Try running both the utilities in safemode which will eliminate all of the startup programs. Before you do that though
    Delete all your temp files and pull back your history kept in IE to 1 day.
    Keep us posted with your progress.
    Dave

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Thanks Dave

I never did it that way so was unsure exactly what to say..

Savvy :)

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

6. kylake

kylake

davey is right. Safemode has always helped me dfrag. If you don't know how to get into Safemode all you have to do is restart you computer and while it is booting up keep tapping the F8 key. This will bring up a dos looking screen that will let you restart in Safemode. When you do this, the screen will look different so don't freak out. Your mouse will still work but the screen will look different and the computer will be running without all the clutter in the background that you never know is there. If you have a very large drive I would defrag before going to bed and it should be done in the morning when you get up. Also to get back into the regular Windows mode just restart the computer. Hope this is of some help. I am no pro but I have done this before.

7. hewee

hewee

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice