1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scan Disk problems and IE 5 freeze-ups

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by blu, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blu

blu Thread Starter

I have been experiencing a problem with freezing up. I am running IE 5, and although everything seems to work normally, I often have a problem with my browser freezing up. This doesn't seem to happen on any particular website. I have deleted all of my temp. internet files to clean up the cache...but I still find myself having to reboot my system a number of times per day to "unfreeze." I also noticed, as of yesterday, that when I try to run scan disk, it ALWAYS freezes up at the same spot without completing the task. Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Try running ScanDisk from Safe Mode. I also recommend you update to IE 6, which is now very stable.

3. blu

blu Thread Starter

Hi Dan,

I attempted to go ahead with running scandisk in safe mode, and it continues to freeze up... the colored bar only goes about halfway across now then freezes. I tried to do the IE 6 update, but the site doesn't seem to be available at the moment. Is there anything else that you think I can do to correct the scandisk problem? Thanks so much for your help.

4. Dan O

Dan O

ScanDIsk freeze ups have been discussed many time in the past on this forum. Have you tried the Search feature and some of the suggested solutions? If you have let us know what you have tried and we will try to work with you.

5. beach51

beach51

Hi blu,for your freezeing problem,check and see how many programs you have running at startup.Go to Start>Run>type in Msconfig>click on the startup tab.If your not sure what to stop at startup go to this site and go down to msconfig and follow to startup programs.

www.rselby.com/Windows.html

You might also want to check for spyware on your system.Go here and download Ad-aware5.6

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Let us know if this helps

6. blu

blu Thread Starter

Hi there beach. The problem seems to be fixed (fingers crossed). I ended up running scandisk in DOS last night, and 6 hours later it finished. I'm such a rookie when it comes to this type of thing... I'm not sure if it's even suppose to take that long, but I'm just happy it ran thru the complete cycle. I thank you for the info on the spyware. I just finished running the program and there were 93 files on my computer.... geesh. I also appreciate the info on how to check out the the programs running at start-up... I nixed a few of those as well, and I can't believe how much faster everything is running now. Thanks again for all the wonderful advice.... keep your fingers crossed for me, huh? smile

7. hewee

hewee

Wow a lot of spware files found.

But run your scan and defrag once a week.

8. beach51

beach51

Your welcome blu :D Glad to hear you got rid of all the spyware.You can read all about spyware and what it does at this site.

www.cexx.org

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice