Scan Disk will not run..... any ideas?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jageorge72

This has been going on for a while now........ when running a Scan Disk, it will never get past the first notch, before it restarts. It will say Reading folders, then Reading file allocation table, then start over.

I am on Windows ME.

It does the same thing in Safe Mode as well. From what I can tell, there should be absolutely nothing running that would cause it to keep restarting. No virus scan, no firewall, etc.... I've tried it both ways.

I really want to do a defrag, but it says it can't until errors are fixed.

Any help is appreciated!!!

jageorge72

Thanks. Tried all this stuff, but no luck. I don't have my start-up disks, so I can't try the DOS-method though.

It just keeps toggling between "Reading Folders" and 'Reading File Allocation Table", and never makes any progress.

Any more ideas?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Download and install HiJackThis

Then restart to Safe mode, run the HJT scan and save the LOG file that it creates.

Then post that log file back here in a reply post for review.

The other thing you can try, which I don't understand why it would work, but have seen posters indicate that it has, is to right click on the QuickLaunch bar and UNselect it.

jageorge - i am having the exact same trouble - computer is running perfectly however scandisk wont get past 1st or 2nd notch then restarts - something is writing to the drive - the only think i can think i did lately was change my power saver settings to shut off the monitor after 20 minutes - i know for a fact that chainging the power settings can cause this to happen but even since i shut it off its still doing it - did u change the power settings or screen saver?? do u have any programs that are loaded when u start up to " make them start faster"?? winamp running in the systray can cause scandisk to bug out - anything with a clock or timer can make it bug out also- since the clock is constantly updating the drive - luckily i can get to DOS to fix errors with scandisk but i cant do a defrag until i can complete one in windows mode too - once in a while it completes after i run it in DOS mode so i am going to be ok - ive been rinning windows ME for a lot of years and like it best for me on this older pc - PII350 400mb ram - u can make a boot disk by going to add/remove programs in control panel but that might not get you to a place where u can run scandisk on the actual c: drive - im able to only cuz im using a max blast boot program that came with my maxtor drive - if it runs good dont panic (like me) and start deleting things - its likely something that youll figure out in time

Here is a long shot. I had that happen, and noticed that the restarts coincided with the clock ticking up a minute. I shut the clock off, and solved the problem.
Try START>SETTINGS>TASKBAR AND START MENU. Uncheck 'show clock'
There must have been something way down deep that was recording clock-ticks on the disk. I never found out what or why, but it worked.

try doing it in safe mode. if you have had this problem for sometime it might be the old problem with windows update of last april [?] .KB891711 was a problem running on the startup menu on some win 98 and me computers. it was fixed ,i thought.

jageorge72

Success!!!!!!!

Hey........thanks WhitPhil! That "longshot" solution of turning OFF the Quick Launch portion of the toolbar actually worked. I would have never guessed! The ScanDisk still reset a number of times, but eventually did finish in a reasonable amount of time. Before, i could let it run all night, and it would still never get past the first notch. I was also able to defrag too.

Thanks again!

SUCCESS here this morning also - what finally did the trick for me was downloading and installing WInPatrol - it found that i had quicktime starting in my startups and i didnt even know it and i recenly went to a site that used quicktime and that was about the time i started having the trouble - winpatrol was helpful becuz i knew what i should and shouldnt have on my running processes list - dont attemt to tweak your pc unless u at least have some idea what to look for - i also gotta say that running ad-aware se was well worth the download - as well as panda online virus scanning and the free 30 day trial of their virus scan - thoise are my suggestions to anyone finding their way here for help - i found HJT to be pretty worthless for myself and the suggestions i got regarding its application were average - in other words useless

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Marshallsalo

In your thread that you started about Scandisk not running, you said "so i tried it in safe mode and still wont run ".

Since the Quicktime task that Winpatrol found (and you presumably removed) doesn't start in Safe mode, this was not the solution to your particular problem with scandisk. So, you must have "tweaked" something else.

I'm not sure why you have such a negative view on HJT. On it's own, it does nothing. It is designed as a tool that easily allows a user having trouble with their PC, to post back a "picture" of what is running.

Amazing no suggestion of DOS has been made.For future reference:insert a boot [email protected] the
A prompt type Scandisk/all.This will check all descriptors/free space and surface scan if
you want& have time.Because it's outside of Windows it's fast,uninterrupted and can't have
anything stopping it-more thorough than Windows version.If it suggests corrections to any
files it gives the option of backing up to Floppy Disk- take this option or note carefully
the exact name of the backup file it will create.This is a valuable 'undo' function.

aarhus2004

Gone but always remembered
Deodar said:
Amazing no suggestion of DOS has been made..
Deodar

Too quick and careless, my friend, your post-reading that is.
From post #2 this thread, this link:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=22053&messageID=238466 and this quote:

"If all else fails, run Scandisk in DOS. For Win95/98 users: Reboot the computer, pressing F8, once per second, till the selection screen loads. Use the up/down/left/right arrows to navigate to the MS DOS Command prompt section, then press enter. When the DOS prompt loads, type "scandisk" (without the quotes). Press enter. After it runs in the standard mode, it will then ask you if you want to run the "thorough" version. Choose yes or no. “Thorough” takes a very long time, but does check your hard drive sectors. When you’re done, navigate to the “Exit” selection, press “Enter”, then press the power button to turn off the puter. Restart the computer and it will boot into Windows normally. Gain access to a Command Prompt in Windows ME this way: Shut down the puter, place the Windows ME start up disk in the floppy drive, start the machine. When the menu appears choose "Minimum Boot". Press Enter. When the command prompt appears, type "scandisk", then press enter."

And from post #3 by the thread starter jageorge72 "...I don't have my start-up disks, so I can't try the DOS-method though."

Encouraging folk to SEARCH is just as important as the pablum of a quick fix.

Well thanks arrhus,I guess I'm too busy to follow up every link posted,the work ethic is
very strong here.Problem/situation resolved apparently.As I tell my people "duplication of
accurate data will duplicate the solution".#3 Jageorge; if you don't have DOS disks, make
them,DOS support in ME is reasonable, and can be used to sort out a lot of 'problems'.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online